Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 passive or quiet CPU

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 17, 2009 8:20:14 PM

Hey guys,

I recently updated my HTPC to an I5 setup, I upgraded from a dual core E8400 that I was using with a passive CPU cooler, I thought I could use it on the socket 1156 but no luck it's off by a few mm and won't fit, so right now I'm stuck with the Intel fan and it's way too noisy, computer is in the living room and is pretty much on 24/7.

So I need a new CPU cooler, I'm limited in size since it's an HTPC case, I can't fit the huge heatsinks of the passive coolers, I ideally I would like a passive one not too big or at list not to high, if it doesn't exists then the quietest cooler with a fan, price is not an issue I'll pay the price for it but I really need something quiet and not only when the PC idles but also on high CPU load, I use the PC to play high definition video, bluray, ect...

so any advice on what to buy?

Thanks a lot

More about : passive quiet cpu

a b à CPUs
October 17, 2009 10:53:20 PM

You might have to stick with the stock fan for a while until the low-profile and quiet 1156 coolers come out - Lynnfield's only been out about a month and the few aftermarket coolers out there are high-performance towers.
Related resources
October 18, 2009 12:29:04 AM

Honestly, I think AMD's Phenom II 45nm CPUs are better for HTPC. Mine idles at room temperature and rarely goes about 34C under full load with the stock cooler. Since then I upgraded my cooler and overclocked it and it still has never got to 40C. My E8400 on the other hand is undervolted (1.165 Volts) and idles at 39C with an artic freezer pro 7. Maybe I got lucky but from what I read others have had similar experiences.
October 27, 2009 9:41:47 PM

what would be considered dangerous for an I5 processor in terms of temperature, right now it idles at ~48-52C° and on max load it goes up to ~85-87C°, knowing that the PC is idling 90% of the time and the remaining 10% is used to play HD video and this runs the CPU at 65-67C°.

Also the rest of the component, HDD and other sensor are quiet cool, since I have two fans extracting the hot air directly out of the case from passive CPU cooler, it's basically only the CPU running really hot, is that ok, acceptable or not ok.

Thanks
October 27, 2009 9:45:12 PM

cr4p said:
what would be considered dangerous for an I5 processor in terms of temperature, right now it idles at ~48-52C° and on max load it goes up to ~85-87C°, knowing that the PC is idling 90% of the time and the remaining 10% is used to play HD video and this runs the CPU at 65-67C°.

Also the rest of the component, HDD and other sensor are quiet cool, since I have two fans extracting the hot air directly out of the case from passive CPU cooler, it's basically only the CPU running really hot, is that ok, acceptable or not ok.

Thanks


I dont have an i5, but i can still tell those temps are way too high.
October 28, 2009 6:06:53 AM

I know they are, the question is is it acceptable or does it becomes dangerous for hardware?
October 29, 2009 12:13:40 AM

cr4p said:
I know they are, the question is is it acceptable or does it becomes dangerous for hardware?


You dont want cpu load temps past 60
!