Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Q6600 vs Hyper X RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2011 2:49:24 PM

Hi All :D 
I'm currently running my Q6600 @ approx 2.9Ghz with the multiplier @ 9 but I can't get it any higher and stable. I'm running Kingston HyperX RAM which is rated @ 800 but i've looked around on some other threads which seem to suggest that I should have RAM running @ 667 for this CPU am I causing a mismatch? is that why I can't get a stable 3Ghz+ overclock?

I have an arctic cooler installed but I don't think my MOBO is very good. having said that, it can take DDR3 RAM would I benefit from getting some of that instead, increasing the FSB for the RAM & changing the multiplier for the CPU?

These may be very basic questions for which I apologise but I'm a bit confused by some of the things I've read on here! :lol: 

More about : q6600 hyper ram

a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 15, 2011 5:44:41 PM

full system specs please ;) 

apart from that did you google in your mobo+cpu+OC? I'm sure you'd get some, if not ,all info there :/ 
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 16, 2011 4:26:12 AM

Based on personal experience, an ACF7P (I have one) should be good for around 3.3 GHz. Any Q6600 should be able to run at 3.3 GHz.

You need to post system specs, especially the motherboard. The Great Karnack is dead. We are not mind readers.

I suspect you are running with your memory settings on Auto. That is a common mistake when overclocking Core2 CPU's.

Here is what is happening:
At stock freqs, your FSB freq is 266 MHz. If your memory settings are on Auto, your system reads the contents of the SPD chip on your memory sticks and, in your case, sets the memory to DDR2-800 speeds.

At 3.0 GHz, your FSB freq is 333 MHz. Your memory freqs will be raised in the same proportion. So your memory is running at (333/266)*800 or at DDR2-1000 speeds.

You didn't specify what kind of motherboard you have, so I cannot tell you how to lower your memory clock. But at a stock 266 MHz, your memory clock should be twice that at 533 MHz. Check your motherboard manual to see what BIOS settings you need to change.
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2011 8:02:39 AM

Sorry all, I know it was a very elemental mistake to make, not including my system spec, Doh!

I'm running windows 7 64bit on;

Q6600 2.4 Ghz (stock) G0 (i think!)
ASROCK 4Core1600Twins-P35 MOBO (with 4 DDR2 & 2 DDR3 slots)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600Tw...
4 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 800 (2 x 2Gb)
Sapphire HD 4890 1Gb (850Mhz stock) 890Mhz clock
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 Tb 32Mb cache
Arctic Freezer 7 CPU Cooler

Unfortuantley this MOBO has jumpers UNDER the GPU card for strange overclocking settings which I asked the manufacturer about but only recieved a jumbled responce.
http://europe.asrock.com/downloadsite/manual/4Core1600T... (page 26 has jumper settings)

I'm planning on getting DDR3 RAM on pay day. (slightly off topic but can anyone recommend Mushkin Blackline or Silverline?) which I hope will give me more OC headroom but if what jsc said about the MOBO reading the SPD chip is right then I suppose it wont make abit of difference :( 

Thank you all for your interest
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 26, 2011 11:59:15 AM

1| C2D's were better designed with DDR2 in mind, I have a DDR3 setup but i found that C2D's run much better and faster with DDR2's

that said, you can get DDR2 for quiet cheap on ebay or newegg. I dunno about mushkin blacklines but they are really awesome for OC'ing. The only thing I'm unsure of is the fact that you need to compare it with mem QVL for a compatible set of rams.

& YEAS JSC IS RIGHT ABOUT OC'ing FSB :)  a person to listen regarding OC'ing.

2| you could sell the AC 7 freezer and pick up a cooler master hyper 212+ for the OC'ing headroom cos i also see the cooelr as another bottleneck.

Quote:
Q6600 2.4 Ghz (stock) G0 (i think!)

look up your CPU package and you can be sure or i think its in CPU-Z on the CPU tab.

3| about picking up more DDR2 rams...i think you should also sell off the twinmosses and try pick up a kit of 4x2GB dimms...corair makes a good number of them rams, the dominators are awesome for OC'ing. but look up your mem QVL to be sure.

If you're having the idea of just getting another pair of 2x2GB rams then think again, a matched pair is better at system integrity and OC'ing stability. unmatched pairs(from binning to serial numbers and internal latencies) can give you anything between BSOD galore or simply an unstable system crashing out every now and then.

thats my opinion though :) 
m
l
August 26, 2011 2:17:42 PM

thanks lutfij, I wasn't sure whether DDR3 would really give me anybetter performance but I just thought it would be expecting higher FSB's and therefore wouldn't give me trouble when my FSB went over the the 320 mark. I wasn't think about more DDR2, according to the monitor I'm not streching the 4Gb I've got, I'm just looking to find some which runs faster!

Obviously I'll be getting a new MOBO @ some point but that's be when I upgrade to I5 etc, by then DDR4 might even be out :-)!!

I'm pretty sure I've got a G0, I remember seeing it in CPU-z and in my bios I can change the multiplier but that doesn't help because it wont go higher than 9 & I really want to lower the FSB & increase the chip speed. CPU doesn't get hot when I go above 320 FSB (well not that hot!!) it's just that some startup processes fail to load in the system tray and some things fail to run!!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
August 26, 2011 3:53:27 PM

did you see this :)  ??? or this
m
l
September 5, 2011 1:59:58 PM

Thank you lutfij for your contributions, unfortuantely I have read those articles (although it was a while ago!! :lol:  ) I don't normally have a problem OCing things, I did a P4 and en E6550 and learned all the time from people on here but the reason for my questions on this occasion is that the messing about with the RAM to FSB ratio!

SitRep:
I now have 8Gb of G.Skill DDR3 1600, which my MOBO has decided needs to have a ratio of 2:3 so if I go above 3Ghz on the CPU Windows BSDs after login :(  if I back off to 2.84 everything seems to be quite jumpy,especially in New Vegas although it does run. I have to drop back to 2.74 to get a smooth gaming experience. I assume this is because the FSB ratio if clocking the RAM much higher than intended.

Anyway, I've found a article dealing with the MOBO that I have and where to set the FSB jumper (yes, I know, I'll never by a MOBO with FSB jumpers ever again!! :pt1cable:  ) considering this came with an OC tool & settings in the BIOS I never dreamed it would need jumpers as well.

A couple of open questions though, :D  , has anyone else seen RAM cause jumpiness in the OS? or BSDs AFTER login?

Thanks

NeilV
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 78 K Overclocking
September 5, 2011 7:53:18 PM

BSOD's after login indicate unstable OC's or a failing component. can you catch a glimps of the BSOD code?

exactly what dya mean by jumpiness...can you elaborate on that term :)  ?
m
l
September 6, 2011 7:45:57 AM

Sorry, I know how difficult it can be to diagnose if you haven't been given a good description of the fault & I appreciate all your help!

I know I should keep the dump file and error codes but i haven't done that yet as I'm still hoping it is RAM related. By jumpy I mean that the mouse pointer moves in big jumps and sometimes to far, it doesn't shoot of in unexpected directions or suddenly appear somewhere else. I've switched off the enhance pointer precision option. and in New Vegas i've added the .ini file options to remove mouse acceleration. I even had the mouse problem with Company of Heroes last night as well until I dialed down my FSB.
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 6, 2011 7:56:20 AM

You want to shoot for an FSB:RAM ratio of 1:1 with a Core2 system whether you are using DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. DDR3-1600 RAM runs 1:1 at a 400 MHz FSB freq.

Your G0 Q6600 (verify with CPU-Z) should be able to run easily at 3.3 GHz. Quite a few will run at 3.6 GHz.
September 6, 2011 8:26:11 AM

Hi jsc,
That unfortunately has been the problem as I couldn't see anywhere in the bios to change this but I've managed to find an article about the jumper settings on my board to reconfigure this, damn shame I've got to take the VGA card out to change them :(  :( 

I've read in a few places that this MOBO isn't good for OCing and that the voltage drops off quite badly but I did try @ one point to up the voltage whilst monitoring it with CPU-z but this did have an adverse effect on my temps, so I don't really want to do that unless it's nessessary (although I have just fitted a coolermaster 120mm front fan to my case instead of the cheap one it came with.

a slight bit off topic but my Arctic 7 cooler pushes the air towards a vented area at the back of my case, it's about 2" from the heatsink would I benefit from a fan in between to help push the air out or would the fan cause an obstruction and slow down the air?

Thanks again for everyones help. :D  :D 

It's really good to see so many people ready to help out with no personal gain.
m
l
September 11, 2011 9:14:26 AM

Hi All,
Status update! Have fitted 8Gb of G.Skill DDR31600 RAM & changed the Jumpers as described in this article;

http://www.asrock.com/mb/faq.asp?Model=4Core1600Twins-P...

This I believed was supposed to give me a RAM Ratio of 1:1 but instead I get this in CPU-z;

DRAM Freq 396.6 Mhz (setting in BIOS is 330)
FSB:D RAM 5:6
CL 6
tRCD 6
tRP 6
tRAS 14
tRFC 64

sorry can't seem to add a screenshot. Have validated with CPU-z if that helps;
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1993970

and in the BIOS the DRAM Freq is locked @ 533 :ouch:  :ouch: 

anyway still cant log in to window with FSB above this

m
l
November 21, 2011 1:51:14 PM

An update for anyone who this may be relevant to. Just invested in a Gigabyte MOBO took 5 hours to remove everything and re-insert into the new MOBO but after installing all the drivers etc and making sure the system was stable, ran the Gigabyte tuning software, picked the medium setting. which is for 3.2 Ghz rebooted and so far stable as you like AND runnning @ about 55C

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

Thanks for all your help.

No substitute for a good MOBO! :non: 
m
l
November 28, 2011 6:42:19 AM

Best answer selected by NeilV.
m
l
!