modrew32

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I recently finished my first build and was expecting good things from my system:
AMD Phenom II x4 945
Gigabyte Ga-MA790XT-UD4P
G. Skill 4 GB ddr3 1333
Nvidia GTX 260 Core 216 superclocked edition
Maxtor 6l300S0 300gb 1.5gb/s HD
Corsair CMPSU 850tx power supply
Vista Home Premium 64bit sp2
I have updated my videocard drivers.
i had originally bought a computer from cyberpower 4 years ago. after its performance deriorated i decided to reuse some of the components and build a new computer.
The problem that i see with the computer is the lack of performance that i get, i ran several benchmarks
PerformanceTest 7.0 score: 493.57 (a terrible score when compared to someone with the same components gets a score of 3007) I have updated my videocard drivers
When i play CS source (a very simple game graphically) i get 30-40fps... i am really not sure what is the cause for the lack of performance when i invested so much money in this system.

tecmo34

Administrator
I never used PerformanceTest 7.0 before but in review of your system, I would say your issue is with the Maxtor HDD. I would recommend upgrading to a Western Digital 640GB Black OEM hard drive for $74.99 at Newegg.com. It is one of the fastest HDD's you can buy outside of a VRaptor or SSD.

modrew32

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

you really think the hard drive has that much influence on performance??? i thinkn that my hardrive performance was one of my brigther areas on my benchmark tests. i think that the main issue is with my processor, the cpu core clock is currently running at 801.606 MHz and the core multiplier is 4x.. on another forum i was told that was way too low, but I dont wanna go messing with things if it is not.

Check your CPU speed when underload, cool and quiet will drop it down to 800MHz to save power, but when underload it should kick up to a 15x multiplier and 3GHz. If not then make sure you have BIOS version F4 or later as that was the first version to support your processor, if you dont it will run super slow.

What resolution are you running at as the hard drive would have no effect on CS:S FPS once the map is loading into the ram.

tecmo34

Administrator
Well, I think the issue is with your clock speed on the AMD Phenom II x4 945. When you look at System tab on PerformanceTest7.0, what does it say for your Clock Frequencies? Your measured speed should be at least 3.0 unless you have overclocked. If it isn't at that speed, than your CPU isn't running up to the correct speed.

This could be for a couple of reasons...
1.) Your Gigabyte board has a power saver function in the BIOS enabled that down clocks the CPU when it doesn't need the power. When it requires the power, it should bring the clock speed up to the correct speeds under load.
2.) Your CPU isn't truly recognized by the BIOS, so it is running at a slower speed as a "Unrecognized CPU". Check your BIOS, it should be F4 to recognized the 945. ( http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3012 )

Also, what areas of the test are you falling behind on? It might help point to the area of concern.

edit: hunter315.... I need to start typing with more then just my thumb to beat you to posting... :D LOL!! (Actually, I need to stop keeping my reply window up and doing other things before finishing and replying...) At least, we both came to the same conclusion on the issue.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Is the new build the first time you used the 64 bit OS? Are all your drivers 64bit?
Just for a cursory check, you might go to pcpitstopo.com and run their complete system diagnostics. Its pretty elemental but its free and it might turn up something. For one thing it does check your drivers. For another, it checks and reports on all of the major components. If the HD is reported to be slow while all the others are making grade, you will have isolated the component with the problem.

modrew32

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
so i updated the bios. and that did the trick... gahhh i wish i had known that was the problem earlier. now i am getting 200+ frames THANKS SOOOOO MUCH ALL THAT POSTED!!!!