Coolermaster 212+ Thermal Paste

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooler Master
  • Thermal Compound
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 15, 2011 5:13:29 PM

Alright guys, I've got excellent feedback from these forums before so it's time to ask you guys again!
I just bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler and I was wondering what you guys make of the thermal paste that it comes with? Is it worth me buying another brand or will the CM TP do?

I intend on OC'ing my i5 2500K to around 4.7GHz.

Specs:
NZXT Phantom Case
ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb) 1600MHz DDR3 CL9
Intel i5 2500K
WD 1TB 3.5" Caviar Green SATA-III 6Gb/sec 64mb Cache 7200RPM HDD
Sapphire HD6950 2Gb DiRT3 Edition
LiteOn 12x Blu Ray Drive
Sony Optiarc 24x SATA DVD Drive
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

More about : coolermaster 212 thermal paste

a c 90 K Overclocking
August 15, 2011 5:39:44 PM

the cooler master thermal paste should do, but if you're in the market for a new TIM, then;

Arctic cooling MX-2 or MX-4
Arctic silver AS5
ShinEtsu
ICD24

are the top choices to get. Most notable mention will be with the AS5

My 2 cents :) 
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2011 6:38:16 AM

The stock CM TP is actually better than some other pastes you get out there. I remember buying this CM IceFusion stuff a while ago, and it's absolutely horrible. I used it once on a CPU, the paste set and went hard, the CPU became very hot and when I tried removing the cooler I had to drip alcohol onto the joint as it simply wouldn't come off.

I'm very happy with my 212+ and stock paste, you can use the little tube it comes in about 5~6 times easily, and with my Core 2 Quad overclocked from 2.66GHz to 3.2GHz (everyday, all day) my temps never exceeded 50'C under full load. Use it with confidence! :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2011 11:24:54 AM

Supposedly the paste that used to come with the 212+ was good, it was the stuff branded paste or something. I have read since they changed it and the label to CM, it is a lot worse. I think if your going for a decent overclock it's worth buying paste that you know is good for an extra few bucks. I recommend the MX paste, it does a great job and isn't electronically conductive.
August 28, 2011 10:50:10 AM

That paste will get the job done but in my opinion get yourself something better for $5 like artic silver or artic ceramic if you're really paranoid about conductivity
August 30, 2011 6:30:50 AM

I tried both stock paste and arctic silver 5 on my coolermaster 212+. Of course I filled the gaps between the pipes first and used the 3 strip method. At first there was no difference between the two but after a week, I noticed 2 degrees drop. I guess it's a matter of opinion, as I've read in some forums that it's not worth the money to drop one degree or two. I thought it was $11 well-spent.