5870x2s cross fired /Sliverston strider 1500 watt PSU

HG02

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I I have a sliver stone strider 1500watt PSU and am in the process of building a new system The strider psu has graphics card leads which have one 6 pin plug plus one 8/6 pin plug on each lead each lead is capable of running 30amps.
What I am hoping for was to plug in both plugs( one lead) in one graphics card so only one lead is conected to one graphics card(5870x2s cross fired).
I dont have a lot of room in the pc case and am not sure if I can do this or not any help out there
at the moment I have a 5870 which I could try

Solution
I understand what you are asking. I checked several references. I also found a manufacturer's response. The power supply was designed for use with four video cards in Quad SLI mode. The power supply comes with four PCI-e cables and each cable has two connectors. Use one PCI-e power cable for each video card. Plug both connectors on one PCI-e cable into one video card. If you are only going to install two video cards, then use just two cables.

BTW - I had heart failure when I saw how much that beast cost - $399.00 US at newegg.com

HG02

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I meant to add the pc case is home made for a friend who flys a lot and the power supply is external to the pc case and plugs in when he lands over seas the strider power supply is 100 % modular thats why it was purchased as most airline wont let you carry over 7 kgs as hand luggage

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I don't see what you're saying - you need to have all the power plugs in the GPUS fully connected for them to work properly.

If you don't have enough cables to do it then you can get many different converters and extenders to change molex plugs into anything you need, like PCI-E plugs.

HG02

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

Hi I have plenty of cables but the sliver stone has one cable with two seperate plugs on it one 8or 6 pin and one 6 pin thus I maybe able to use one lead to power one 5870 making it a cleaner pc case with less leads inside the case.
This pc case is only the size of the mother board the PSU sits out side the case. This pc travels the world the pc case is hand luggage on a plane the PSU is in a suit case in the cargo hold while flying once landed ands in use
the sliver stone is 100% modulized just plugs in to leads out side the pc case and power up you cant carry a nornal pc as hand luggage.
The last one I made two 4870x2s cross fired worked well This is an upgrade its running I7 cpu Dell laptop dvd played and two intel SSDs all for light as possible the pc case size is 320cm (13 inches) x 320 cm (13 inches) and 155cm high (6 inches)

HG02

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I KNOW I CAN GET BY WITH A SMALLER POWER SUPPLY BUT I NEED 100% MODUAL
POWER SUPPLY HERE IN AUSTRALIA THE ONLY PSU U CAN BUY THAT HAS ALL THE LEADS PLUG INTO THE PSU IS THE SLIVERSTONE STRIDER 1500 WATT ALL THAT I NEED TO KNOW ISTHIS
THE STRIDER HAS GRAPHICS CARD LEADS THAT HAVE TWO PLUGS ON EVERY LEAD. ONE OF THEM HAS ONE 6 PIN AND THE OTHER 8/6 OPTIONAL PLUS THE OTHER END THAT PLUGS INTO THE PSU HAS THE 8 PIN . wHAT i AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IS DO i NEED TO USE TWO LEADS ON ONE GRAPHICS CARD OR CAN I USE ONE LEAD WHICH HAS TWO PLUGS THAT COULD PLUG INTO THE GRAPHICS CARD SAVING SPACE AND CABLES

I understand what you are asking. I checked several references. I also found a manufacturer's response. The power supply was designed for use with four video cards in Quad SLI mode. The power supply comes with four PCI-e cables and each cable has two connectors. Use one PCI-e power cable for each video card. Plug both connectors on one PCI-e cable into one video card. If you are only going to install two video cards, then use just two cables.

BTW - I had heart failure when I saw how much that beast cost - $399.00 US at newegg.com

Solution

HG02

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

Hi Johnny Thanks for confirming that I thought that what happened just needed to make sure. Yes they arent cheap but the idea is take the power supply off to reduce weight when he flys this give him the chance to carry the pc on the plane as hand luggage