Sign in with
Your question

Bought an SSD for OS and Programs. What HDD to buy for storage?

Last response: in Storage
April 18, 2011 7:20:52 AM

Hey guys,

Just bought my parts for my first desktop setup.. I bought a OCZ Solid State Drive to put my OS and Programs. I need an HD secondary drive. What is a good HD to get for a good price? Should i be concerned about performance? The tb caviar Greens are sooo cheap but i know they are on the low end of the performance spectrum. Any suggestions?
April 18, 2011 7:52:38 AM

It depends a bit on what you're looking for, but if you're indeed looking for simple storage and playing a movie / music from it a caviar green should do nicely.

The performance between the greens and other ones won't be that noticable unless you what to do some heavy duty stuff.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 18, 2011 8:40:36 AM

You can also get the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, cool, fast and silent.
m
l
Related resources
a c 110 G Storage
April 18, 2011 4:20:34 PM

^ +1 For the Spinpoint F3. Cheap too.
m
l
April 18, 2011 11:08:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My main concern is reliability and price. I don't need it to be really fast but I dont want it to slow me down if I'm trying to access files from it. The caviar green, from what I understand, takes a while to spin up when its been idle, I don't have experience with it but I'm concerned that it would be quite annoying to have to wait for it everytime I'm trying to open a movie or something.

As for the Samsung, I've always stuck with western digital because I've never had problems with them. Is that Samsung drive as reliable?
m
l
a c 110 G Storage
April 18, 2011 11:16:37 PM

Yeah the Spinpoint is as reliable and cheaper than the WD Black it competes with. The 500GB or 1 TB WD Blacks are great drives too if you really want WD. The Spinpoints are generally as fast if not faster depending on the benchmark, quiet, cool and reliable for quite a bit less money.
m
l
!