Bought an SSD for OS and Programs. What HDD to buy for storage?

ttcpelison

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hey guys,

Just bought my parts for my first desktop setup.. I bought a OCZ Solid State Drive to put my OS and Programs. I need an HD secondary drive. What is a good HD to get for a good price? Should i be concerned about performance? The tb caviar Greens are sooo cheap but i know they are on the low end of the performance spectrum. Any suggestions?

rogier

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
It depends a bit on what you're looking for, but if you're indeed looking for simple storage and playing a movie / music from it a caviar green should do nicely.

The performance between the greens and other ones won't be that noticable unless you what to do some heavy duty stuff.

ttcpelison

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My main concern is reliability and price. I don't need it to be really fast but I dont want it to slow me down if I'm trying to access files from it. The caviar green, from what I understand, takes a while to spin up when its been idle, I don't have experience with it but I'm concerned that it would be quite annoying to have to wait for it everytime I'm trying to open a movie or something.

As for the Samsung, I've always stuck with western digital because I've never had problems with them. Is that Samsung drive as reliable?

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah the Spinpoint is as reliable and cheaper than the WD Black it competes with. The 500GB or 1 TB WD Blacks are great drives too if you really want WD. The Spinpoints are generally as fast if not faster depending on the benchmark, quiet, cool and reliable for quite a bit less money.