Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitor setup advice: 2 seperate cards or just 1?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2009 4:21:30 AM

Hey there guys. I want a dual monitor setup, one older square LCD monitor and new 1080P LCD monitor. I've been debating about this in my head for a little while whether I should buy a cheaper PCI Graphics card and connect the old monitor to that one or if I should connect them both to my Radeon HD 4830 (at least I think I can do that). I'm just thinking it might be better to have a whole GPU dedicated to games running on that monitor versus both monitors using up the processing power of that card.

So, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2009 12:05:15 PM

I would just use the 4830. Performance of a PCI card is very low. It's okay for web browsing and other light tasks.
I think you will be happier with both monitors hooked up to the 4830.
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 10, 2009 1:06:27 PM

both monitors should be connected to the 4830

PCI cards are out dated so their price is rather expensive
August 10, 2009 8:10:50 PM

Well, I wasn't planning on using the second monitor for the games, more of an auxiliary monitor for multi-tasking, especially to show my music player while I'm gaming. So, yeah, light duty graphics processing is the goal. I just didn't know if it sounded like a better idea to keep the Radeon card from having to run both monitors at the same time, like if it would lag down the graphics on my main screen.
!