Need help installing SSD

I just got my OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SATA II SSD and i'm having a bit of trouble trying to get the OS onto it.I have my regular HDD unpluged and i'm trying to boot with the Windows CD to install onto the SSD but it's not working.Windows will load from the CD but after it loads i just get the Windows background and nothing happens.I realize you can format the HD thru windows but I only have 2 SATA cables right now so I can't read from the Windows Disc.
How can i get Windows onto my SSD?

Solution
Are you installing Win7? Is it not doing anything or just doing it very slowly?

I found my installs going very, very slowly so I did some googling and discovered that if you try to install Win7 and you have a floppy drive enabled in bios, even if you don't have a floppy drive, it slows down the install a whole lot.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Are you installing Win7? Is it not doing anything or just doing it very slowly?

I found my installs going very, very slowly so I did some googling and discovered that if you try to install Win7 and you have a floppy drive enabled in bios, even if you don't have a floppy drive, it slows down the install a whole lot.

Solution
I've checked in the BIOS and it is showing up.It's even giving me the temps in HWMonitor.I have set the SSD to first boot prority and CD Drive 2nd and vis versa and nothing seems to work.I thought you would be able to plug it in and install windows just like any other HD but i guess thats not the case with SDD's.
I have figured out a way to make it work thru Windows but I don't have the 3rd SATA cable thats why I wanted to do it thru BIOS like normal.

Yes i'm installing Windows 7 64-bit and it will load from the CD but after it's done nothing happens and it's just a Windows background.The speed at which it's installing isn't an issue because it's just not installing at all,it reads the disc fine but it never loads the installation process.

tecmo34

Administrator
You may have a SSD issue or a cable issue. What motherboard and SATA port are you using??

Your SSD should load just like any standard hard drive from that point. Initial OS install is the same across the board, after you set your BIOS to AHCI (though not a requirement and can be changed after initial install).

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

You are correct about that floppy drive issue for Windows 7 installations on older MB chip-sets, but this problem should only be a long, long delay in the initial part of installation, just before you get to select which partition to install to; afterwards it should install as normal.

Perhaps tecmo34 is correct and it is an issue with the SSD itself. It seems like you are doing everything correct, but if Windows doesn't load properly after you installed it, then something must be up with that drive.