Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any overclocking on my part causes win7 64 to not boot. Help?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 16, 2011 9:14:53 PM

New to this site, I've built a few rigs already, however none as powerful as my current build. With the MSI mobo 870A-G54 I have issues overclocking/unlocking 4th cpu on triple core phenom. When I go to either unlock or oc, windows simply wont boot, forcing me to return my setting to default. This is not terribly important as it is plenty fast as it is, however spending a hundred dollars on a board to use stock settings is a little frustrating. May just be my lack of knowledge/experience as this board has A LOT of features! Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
August 16, 2011 9:37:55 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Try to boot with overclock but WITHOUT unlocked cores, if you get the same problem let me know the settings that you are using on BIOS. If you can boot successfully, the problems is the four core that's not stable.
August 17, 2011 8:13:57 PM

Thanks. I did try to do that and ended up with the same problem, however the settings I am using are the pre installed MSI "fail safe settings." Im a little apprehensive to start really changing things in my bios for fear I'll really screw things up!
Related resources
a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
August 17, 2011 8:32:36 PM

Test you RAM with memtest86+
August 17, 2011 8:49:40 PM

Ah, I do not have any media to burn it onto. However, if it helps, My BIOS reports that my memory is working correctly at the right speeds (1333.) BUT (and I dont know if this helps,) but when I go to oc my CPU, it also ocs my memory as well. This happens both when I turn the knob on the board, and also when i manipulate the CPU frequency inside the BIOS.
August 19, 2011 3:31:02 PM

When I overclock my i7 I have to disable something involving usb boot device and make sure I don't have any external usb hard drives plugged in or it won't let me boot windows.

Best solution

a c 158 à CPUs
a c 280 K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 3:35:44 PM

Correct, when you overclock the CPU the RAM frequency also change. You need change the DRAM multiplier to keep the RAM at stock speed when you overclock the CPU.
August 24, 2011 2:02:16 AM

Sorry for the delay, I attempted to overclock again but this time manipulating the core voltage manually(using safe voltages of course) to no avail. So I had to reinstall windows again. As completely maddening as this was I just let it sit for a few days. But I did not know that about the DRAM modifier, so when I purchase my new MOBO and CPU and memory I will try that and let you know.
August 24, 2011 2:02:32 AM

Best answer selected by Icathelion.
!