High mem IO temperature on 4870

_gs_

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Hi all, I just purchased a Scythe Musashi and run ati tool on the card..
I found something shocking, the mem io temp is so high, around 94C...
here is the pic:
temp-1.jpg

My questions are:
1. Is mem io temp the same as the vram temp??
2. has anyone ever experienced the same thing??

Thanks

Solution

his card is fine.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

No, that is NOT the ram temp. That is the temperature of the memory controller on the gpu. Typically it can be 10 - 15C higher than the gpu temp. But 32C higher is too high. Most likely the thermal paste on the gpu is not applied evenly and that part of the chip isn't being cooled right. Did you take off the heatsink and replace it? If so, you need to redo it again.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

his card is fine.

Solution

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

What are your memio temps compared to the gpu? I have two hd4870s with stock coolers and the memio is never more than 15C higher than the gpu temp. I was concerned when I first saw this but found that is normal for it to be a little higher. But 32C higher is a lot higher. I read that high memio can be caused by poor thermal paste application. So, while 94C is near the upper limit, but still normal for the stock cooler for memio, it's not normal for there to be a 32C difference. He should be getting better temps with the aftermarket cooler.

_gs_

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Sorry, I've mistake selecting best answer..
It should be orangegator...
(No offense to annisman)..

Yes, it's true, I'd been googling for almost 6 hours last night, while waiting for the replies..
I re-applied the thermal paste this morning, and the result is sensational...
Mem Io temp drops to 63.5C under full load...
Going to post SS soon...
So, for anyone with same experience, RE-APLLY your thermal paste..

Thanks for all answers..

Anyway, do you guys know how to show the VDCC temp on GPU-Z?
I mean my GPU-Z doesn't show all reading right now..

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Wow, even though you are wrong, you can't admit it and have to try to get the last word in the thread. PAY ATTENTION. 1. He's using an after market heatsink 2. Using an aftermarket heatsink or reapplying thermal paste does NOT void the warranty for the vast majority of video cards (And for the brands that may say it does, it's near impossible to tell it's been done if the stock heatsink is replaced if an rma is needed.) Now if you feel you need to get the last word again, at least admit that my advice was 100% correct (as confirmed by the op).

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I don't know what you problem is, but I am sure that I have vastly more experience with 48** series, and I know these cards inside and out. Yes, the temps were fine if he gets better temps now, then good for him.