Internal or external watercooling

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
ok i was just wondering if i should go with internal or external watercooling. i have no space on my desk for a watercooler so i was thinking internal but are there any good ones out there?

Solution
The universal block only directly cools the actual GPU chip - that VRAM and other modules are cooled using your case airflow. The other components on the PCB don't generate as much heat relative to the GPU, but if they don't have heatsinks they can/will overheat. That black part on that guy's PCB is a universal heatsink for the VRAM, etc.

I feel like there would be enough space to mount at least one 2x120 rad inside, and any external radiators could just be mounted directly on the case. It would require some drilling, but it should be simple.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Um, not sure I follow what you mean...internal or external? I am guessing you mean you 'just want all the stuff to stay inside your case', but that isn't always so simple depending on your loop.

What hardware? What delta? What budget? What case? How many rads are you limiting yourself to?

There really aren't kits for just everyone, but there are a couple depending on budget, and needs that can qualify. Have you read the sticky? I have it liked in my signature below...sounds like there are some things it might be able to help you figure out during your planning.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
yes i mean i want a system in my case. i have 2500k, msi r6970 lightning, asrock p67 extreme 4 mobo and my case is coolermaster storm sniper. im not sure what you mean by delta and budget $3-400. im looking into watercooling because my card is not cooling properly causing crashes and other problems or if i turn the fan way it its very distracting.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Delta-T explained: LINK

This is linked in my sticky, along with a lot of other information.

It sounds like you have a case airflow problem if your video card overheats like that even with the stock cooler.

$300-$400 would get you a good CPU and GPU loop, but I'm not sure a Storm will fit the radiators you need, internally or not.

Try Googling your case+watercooling... for ideas...there are a lot out there...just have to look. Also check YouTube.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
you know, i just found out i cannot even cool this card with a waterblock nobody makes one that fits. i think my case gets sufficient airflow its just in the video card section they were telling me the fans are not seated properly on this brand of card which is causing the overheating and instead of rma i wanted to look for other options since i want to watercool anyway down the road.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

ok that looks like something I might get. now, im sorry for the noob question, but will that cool the whole card or is that the only part that gets real hot and my case fans will cool the rest? also if i ended getting a quality watercooler how far could i set it up from my pc because the only space i have is on the floor under my desk.

The universal block only directly cools the actual GPU chip - that VRAM and other modules are cooled using your case airflow. The other components on the PCB don't generate as much heat relative to the GPU, but if they don't have heatsinks they can/will overheat. That black part on that guy's PCB is a universal heatsink for the VRAM, etc.

I feel like there would be enough space to mount at least one 2x120 rad inside, and any external radiators could just be mounted directly on the case. It would require some drilling, but it should be simple.

Solution

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
thanks you guys are helpful. anyway is koolance a good brand? i found a 5.25 sized reservoir with a pump for around 200 or should i get them seperate. by taking out my harddrive cage they might fit but i dont know where id put a radiator in the inside. if i move i dont want a huge hassel. all because i bought a shitty card that cannot cool itself. or do you think i should sell it and get a 590 gtx or 6990. options, options, options, i dont know. this is my first build and have no idea where to go from here. i want to get a wc system but id rather have a full waterblock and if it is my ram and vram overheating i dont know if it will help my card with the universal one especially because less airflow due to internal radiator.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A full cover GPU block is perfectly fine...just make sure you get RAMsinks for the modules. If you think the money could be better spent on an actual card upgrade, that is really only something you can decide.

It also depends on what radiators you are wanting to be setup internally. It also sounds like you may just have poor case airflow which also should be considered.