Best cooling solution for i5 2600k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noctua NH-D14 is available at the website you linked, but every time I tried to link it in this thread, it would show a different cooler.

Anyway if you're intending on air cooling and overclocking, whether it's the i7 2600K, or the i5 2500K, you'll have to go big air.

The Noctua NH-D14 outperforms the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

This should get you comfortably around the 4.5ghz range 24/7, if you want to overclock further than that, you need to reconsider the cooling now.

The most important question for you has already been asked by Bipedal Disaster (How high are you planning on pushing the 2600k?)

The cooling solution you choose is pretty much going to determine just how far you get.

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I'm aiming for 5Ghz, 4.7Ghz would still make me smile.
The fact is, these are mostly water cooling numbers(24/7) but.I'm ordering the "Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced" wich has support for 11 fans, that should give me an edge compared to "normal" cases, right? The case has 2 fans included, I'm planning to buy 7 more, making it a 9 fan-case.With the proper CPU cooler, I'm confident that I'l reach 4.7Ghz.

But again, I'm a newb at this kind of stuff, so I may be wrong.

Case airflow is important but you can put so many fans in your case that it could hover in place and it would not make any difference, what matters with air cooling is ambient room temperature, if you lived in the Artic you could just sit your computer outside on the window ledge and be good to go.

Ambient room temperature is a limiting factor with air cooling no matter how many case fans you have they're still pushing the same temperature air.

Many of us thought we'd be able to accomplish our goals air cooling, and 4.5ghz is possible with the right air cooling setup, but 4.7ghz Prime95 tested rock solid stable to 5.0ghz, Not the mama!

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

I understand the importance of airflow, every wire will be tightly tied in the right place :p trust me, but I have some problems understanding your last sentence.
"but 4.7ghz Prime95 tested rock solid stable to 5.0ghz, Not the mama!"

doublepedaldylan

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

From what I understand 4ryan6 is saying it won't happen, or very likely won't. Possibly if the room is isolated with a window AC unit cranked to make the room a walk-in fridge, but not under normal conditions.

Hence why I do my folding@home at night.

doublepedaldylan

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
well reach it, yeah could probably get there, but running 24/7 stable may be a different story, depending on ambient temps. I am by far no expert, just was interpreting what others have said, and considering what I've read. I haven't seen many people claiming much past 4.5 on air cooling. Getting to 5.0 would be a challenge. Also, is this a i5 2500k or i7 2600k?

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
i5 2500k.The thing is, my room is usually 20C(celsius).In summer.(I have air conditioning 24/7, can't stand warm enviroments)
Also that is a case known for its cooling capabilities(and airflow), I really think I can achieve 4.7Ghz 24/7, 5.0 maybe it was a "too far to jump" point.But 4.7Ghz should be managable, from what I've asked around.

doublepedaldylan

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
mmk, well good luck. If your ambient is low enough, I guess I could see it. I'm used to being kind of poor and not being able to afford AC or much heat. So if you pull it off, may shoot for that range this winter, considering the house is 15C during the winter, and probably could drop the room to 10C if I really wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.