umaza

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I have recently got a pc with built-in ATI Radeon 4650 HD 1GB DDR2 which I think supports DX10.1

In DxDiag it only says DirectX 10, does this mean I only have DX10, and if I do how do I upgrade to DX10.1

HAWX Asassins Creed without the patch, a few others. Gotta love the devs, all in it for the monies. The new Batman Arkhum emodoesnt even allow MSAA on ATI cards without a workaround.
Just gotta lve TWIMTBP

PS And of course, no physx, thats overwith, only nVidia cards allowed from here on in

True, just that W7 allows for 2 drivers now, and then they end compatibility = dirty pool.
Even the original aigea cards wont work, not just the nVidia cards.
But, you can still use CUDA, if youre so inclined, but again, that may be just until enough ATI cards are being used by third parties, then they may cut that too.
Its says its open, well I guess their meaning of open is open to interpretation

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ well CUDA can be ported to ATi cards so it's possible that if someone with a lot of $ and a highly skilled team behind them, we could get CUDA and therefore PhysX on ATi GPU's.

You know, nothing is stopping ATI from porting physX to their platform; M$ did get it ported to the 360 (which uses an ATI GPU I might mention), so theres no reason why they can't. Heck, why ATI doesn't is beyond me, as people are buying NVIDIA cards as secondaries just for PhysX...

"Well for all those who have have used Nvidia cards for PhysX and ATI cards to render graphics in Windows 7...All that is about to change.

Since the release of 186 graphics drivers Nvidia has decided to disable PhysX anytime a Non-Nvidia GPU is even present in the same PC. Nvidia again has shot themselves in the foot here and showed they are not customer oriented. Since they are pushing Physx this will not win over any ATI fanboys with this latest decision.

Here is a copy of the email I received from Nvidia support confirming what they have done.

Quote:
"Hello JC,

Ill explain why this function was disabled.

Physx is an open software standard any company can freely develop hardware or software that supports it. Nvidia supports GPU accelerated Physx on NVIDIA GPUs while using NVIDIA GPUs for graphics. NVIDIA performs extensive Engineering, Development, and QA work that makes Physx a great experience for customers. For a variety of reasons - some development expense some quality assurance and some business reasons NVIDIA will not support GPU accelerated Physx with NVIDIA GPUs while GPU rendering is happening on non- NVIDIA GPUs. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused but I hope you can understand.

Best Regards,
Troy
NVIDIA Customer Care"

So this really confirms that PhysX will be doomed as an adopted API regardless how hard Nvidia pushes it as a result of action like this."
http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-nvidia-disables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

Its no longer available to ATI cards, period

Why didnt nVidia do DX10.1 which is the name of this thread? Kinda ironic eh?
ATI has Havok, as does Intel. Once Intel fully eneters the gaming scene, CUDA and physx are dead, with opencl as another alternative thats bound to grow as well

s640x480.jpg

I just dont understamd. Why should 1 company cow tow to another? This was doing fine until nVidia decided to cut it off, and its also being done with ageia cards too.
To act like its ATIs inability to do it, when they never asked, or to remove it, when ATI never asked, Id think youd have to ask nVidia as to why they cut it off, before assuming another company adopt an obviously proprietary thing.
Theres nothing from nVidia to do the same thing if ATI did such an adoption, similar to what we see with people having the ageia ppus and using ATI cards.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

you forgot stalker m8 ;)

FFS, we hav been through this, why the same *** gamer, they cannot just port it, you know it and I know it.

You also know that it is not the gpu acceleration that is used on the consoles.

As I said in my other post physx does not equal gpu acceleration. You know fine well how it works so stop trolling.

When did I mention GPU acceleration? I was mearly pointing out that there is no reason why ATI can't port PhysX over to their hardware. Heck, NVIDIA even offered to help in the process!

ATI refused to get involved, so NVIDIA cut them off. Sounds fair to me.