Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Great Scott! Win7 Image won't boot up on diff computer (read my tries)

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 28, 2011 1:48:55 PM

Hi there,

I had a system with programs I have installed and the setup and imaged it with acronis or for any matter, it could have been a perfect clone drive copy because the program isnt the issue.

My i5 - 2500k achi windows 7 ,
was imaged to a new hard drive

and attempted to run on a

AMD Phenom 4x 9500

Now before you go telling me about the three hard drive modes, Raid , IDE and ACHI. I've edited the registry and have tested all three modes to correspond with the motherboard bios setting of the drive. I assume its IDE or ACHI, which I've tried loading windows on the orginal machine, editing the registry settings, then trying it again on another machine.

Where I am at now is it goes to classpnp.sys when im watching safe mode and stalls there. Im noticing before it was stalling at disk.sys but i think i fixed that via the registry settings for the hard drive mode.

I've tried the following :

Tried to make a generalized image by using sysprep got the error fatal error because i guess its used more than three times, dont understand what disarm command they are talking about for workaround since the xml file doesnt exist.

I have tried ACRONIS 2011 Image with Universal Settings mode (that is supposed to remove hard ware specific settings)

I have also tried using the windows disc, going into launchup repair, repair startup.

I also went recovery console, then tried renaming classpnp.sys to classpnp.old

I tried several options using the Ultimate Boot disk but its not the boot up mbr as it boots up , its the loading of one of the system files/drivers that make it fail.

The reason why im trying to just clone one hard drive and put it on another system is because, everything is installed, the programs, etc. Its saving me god bloody 2 days with setting up the programs, although Im getting close to over a day trying to figure out whats the big dela with getting this to work on another computer.

additional information : I do not need any user specific preferences, documents, files or settings, everything can go, i just want this installation with about 25 gig of programs, to load and work.

If you know of a program thats fairly easy to use considering im already one day into doing this, then let me know and tell me what im looking to do and some instructions are great.

Either way, im waiting for an answer, will be here next 3 hours. im on skype as well, this user name is spelt backwards for security reasons. please contact me at

22sohr

on skype, im there for instant message (remember, to reverse those characters for my skype name, yes that means, spell the last letter first and so on.

Im here,

Cheers, I can handle some of what you tell me to do, but i dont want to spend another pile of hours learning a complicated program.

Thanks
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2011 2:11:50 PM

you need to get windows to re-initialise the abstraction layer. However its not a good idea to change mobo and keep the same cpu, never mind changing the cpu brand, with different extensions being supported.
a c 291 $ Windows 7
September 28, 2011 5:43:25 PM

Install Windows on the hardware it's going to run. I've yet to see a system boot up when this type of thing is done. You're not even running it on a similar chipset, going from Intel to AMD.
Related resources
September 28, 2011 5:54:56 PM

If you own a retail windows, build the new system and then fresh clean install onto that.

Now if you install and validate a windows Key somewhere it's going to "Lock" that particular system to the key.

You may find yourself explaining to Microsoft on the phone that you tried to replace the motherboard and wish to reactivate your key.

Intel and AMD are two totally different things. That is one reason I spend the extra money in virgin drives and clean retail OS'es so that I can build any time, any place without the hassle of trying to transfer anything between the old system to new. I already have all I need on several fat memory sticks and in my DVD case.
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2011 6:05:00 PM

+1 fresh reinstall on new computer
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2011 6:18:26 PM

Quote:
I had a system with programs I have installed and the setup and imaged it with acronis or for any matter, it could have been a perfect clone drive copy because the program isnt the issue.

I can't make any sense out of that sentence.

When you change a motherboard and processor, you have to do a fresh windows install or your bound to have all kinds of issues, especially driver issues. You can't expect drivers for a Intel motherboard to work with a AMD motherboard.
September 28, 2011 6:38:19 PM

Well, I don't blame the man for trying. Who knows? We might be able to do that one day. Hotswap between Intel and AMD with ease.
September 28, 2011 6:46:56 PM

I've only had one OS throughout my computer's history. That's 3.4 years of upgrades including CPU, motherboard, graphics cards, sound card, and an SSD I moved the OS to. I've also helped a friend build a computer and transferred the OS from his laptop to the desktop without any problems. In fact, both computers have the same OS, and both can connect to the internet without issues. So I suppose the only absolute no-no is changing CPU brands.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2011 9:32:12 PM

Hi

I have only moved a Hard Disk from AMD Athlon motherboard to Intel Core 2 Duo motherboard once when motherboard died - this was XP not 7.

You need to remove all registry settings for the hard disk controller before booting up on the new motherboard

There is a program to do this included in the ubcd4win project .
It is called Fix_HDC (fix hard disk controller)

You boot from Win PE XP based USB or CD disk then run Fix_HDC on registry on the Hard disk
then reboot from the hard disk on new motherboard

www.ubcd4win.com

Nothing is guaranteed to always work.

I have changed from ATA/IDE to AHCI on same motherboard and changed Intel motherboards using this method
(OS = XP, Vista & 7)

I have also have a sysprep image fail when the same DELL PC was delivered with disk controller in ATA mode and latter in AHCI mode. (before I was using Fix_HDC)

regards

Mike Barnes
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2011 8:22:56 AM

I can understand getting it to boot, but getting it to boot well, be stable and as-if-new is different. Everything you see in device manager needs to be changed. There is a way of telling windows at shutdown to 'flush' the device manager list, and when you next reboot you'll be looking for new stuff, this refreshes the HAL, this theoretically is just like a part of the normal first installation process.
However you need to have the original mobo in a working condition to set this up.

This has the idea - http://www.ehow.com/how_6324658_change-windows-hal-vmwa...

I suppose you could just delete everything in DM, it'll want to reboot, don't, just shut it down move the hdd and then restart, it'll load everything.
October 13, 2011 2:14:58 PM

Best answer selected by blackacidevil.
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2011 7:05:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
!