Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[need help] First time water cooling attempt.

Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2011 9:40:55 AM

I have just built my first Pc and I'm looking to water cool it I have no idea what to look for in kits or what brands to trust and or stay away from. I would like to keep the system completely internal if possible ( I have a corsair obsidian mid tower). So maybe someone can help me with a kit or complete parts list. I'll spend up too $400 for a complete system. My main components I would like cooled are:

CPU- i5 2500k
GPU- EVGA 590 hydro copper (will be getting a second one in two weeks)

Not sure if anything else really needs it.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 17, 2011 1:36:56 PM

i5 2500k and SLI 590's?

Not sure if you realize this, but you are going to need a decent amount of radiator surface area.

Have you read the sticky? Linked below in my signature...I think it could help answer some of your questions and give you some information on where to start. There are a lot of links within...so give it a good read. There is more to watercooling than just asking a bunch of strangers on the web what to spend your money on. Trust me, it's far more rewarding to understand what you need in order to make the loop the best for your budget, expectations and hardware.
August 17, 2011 1:54:57 PM

Not SLI yet, I have one 590 and will order the second one for SLI in two weeks. I'm very new to this and this is my first build, I'm not sure if I even need to water cool but with the amount of money I spent on the system I'm thinking it's a good idea. Bit yeah I'm totally lost when it cones to this, I'll give it a read but was hoping someone with a better understanding of how it works could come up with a system so to speak. I don't want to order the wrong parts or something that is the wrong specification for what I'm trying to do.
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 17, 2011 2:42:28 PM

Well, if you are getting the second card in a couple weeks, it's safe to say you will be running both, correct?

Give that a good read-through and let us know...

What kind of budget do you have for a loop?
August 17, 2011 2:47:39 PM

Well I was thinking $400 but can go 6-700$ tops and yes they will run SLI.

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
August 17, 2011 2:54:42 PM

You have a pretty solid budget for that loop, then. A lot of people use the 800D to watercool...there are a lot of build logs on the web...Google it and see what you find. Also check YouTube.
August 17, 2011 3:00:55 PM

Lol flow charts and models with turbo for pumps, I have no idea what to get here lol. There's guides that lead into guides... /sigh
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 17, 2011 3:09:24 PM

I know...there is a lot of data out there...

I just wanted to get you to soak up some info so you know what you are needing to know in order to make some decisions and help in your planning.
a b K Overclocking
August 17, 2011 10:37:04 PM

Plexs said:
I'm very new to this and this is my first build, I'm not sure if I even need to water cool but with the amount of money I spent on the system I'm thinking it's a good idea.

The Hydro Copper series has to be watercooled. Please tell me you're not running it without any cooling...

And yeah, there is a lot of information, but when it "boils" down to it, you really just have your pump, reservoir, CPU block, GPU block(s) (which are taken care of with the Hydro Copper models), and radiator(s). You just need to know what you're trying to do, what you need to do it, and how to measure how it's doing (heat dissipation, deltas, and all that).
August 18, 2011 12:25:54 AM

boiler1990 said:
The Hydro Copper series has to be watercooled. Please tell me you're not running it without any cooling...

And yeah, there is a lot of information, but when it "boils" down to it, you really just have your pump, reservoir, CPU block, GPU block(s) (which are taken care of with the Hydro Copper models), and radiator(s). You just need to know what you're trying to do, what you need to do it, and how to measure how it's doing (heat dissipation, deltas, and all that).

Well not running it, no. But I did install it and test it out for a minute. I'm talking to techs at frozenCPU about a kit (I think the h20 or something) there putting a parts list together for me to see. Unless anyone has a better solution for me. I'm going to order the parts and have someone I know at Best Buys geek squad hook it up for me /pray!
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2011 12:54:42 AM

The problem with having somebody else set up the system is that it is not a one-time deal. You do have to maintain it, and any time there is a problem or maintenance to be done, you'll have no idea what's wrong or what to do/not do.

I'm interested to see what FrozenCPU puts together. I personally was thinking at least 2 3x120 rads for the GPUs (maybe quads?) and a MCP35X.

In general, I don't believe Geek Squad handles these things, so unless you can always get your friend to help you, I doubt you'll get much help from them.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 18, 2011 1:14:30 AM

FrozenCPU is one of the more expensive sites on the web, and they lack in radiator selection depending on what you are looking for. They do have a ton of stuff, but like I mentioned, they are a little more pricey than others. I've spent my fair share with them, but consider the others I have listed in my sticky...there are a few others we could likely add as well.

And yes, just because someone at a retailer 'suggests' you something, you don't always buy it, right? I guess that's the reason Best Buy continues to make so much money off people wanting a new computer simply to play solitaire and send email; but they get talked into paying $2000 because they are sold a box with a gaming card in it and other premiums.

Knowing what you need for yourself is invaluable information...don't let a complete stranger tell you what you should spend your own money on...let us help you understand so you can make those decisions, yourself.

Quote:
Well not running it, no. But I did install it and test it out for a minute.

This is the fastest way to ruin a GPU...other than shorting it out. These things get insanely hot, even in a matter of seconds without any cooling.
August 18, 2011 4:31:36 PM
August 18, 2011 7:51:59 PM

Is this a good beginner setup??
a b K Overclocking
August 18, 2011 8:13:54 PM

-I would ditch the coolant and go for a biocide and distilled water, it will be cheaper and easier to refill and such.

-Kit is unnecessary, why dont you let some of the people here give you some alternative options that could save you quite a bit and be even better performance-wise.

-2 240mm rads will likely not cut it unless you have some serious fans on them...
August 18, 2011 10:17:50 PM

Well just look at all the above posts, I have been asking for some build help. I got a lot of research material but I'm new to all of this and it's like learning another language lol. So they guys at frozen CPU came up with this for me.
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 7:09:22 AM

I highly suggest you do not get a second graphics card.

I have an HD5870 which I'm guessing is roughly half the performance of your card and I can run most games at the highest quality settings are near them. There isn't a single game available that would look much better if I had a better card.

The only issues I currently have are a bit of stuttering in some games that your card would have no issues with.

So basically you are going to create more noise but are unlikely to realistically benefit graphically from that card unless you are using it for 3D or multiple monitors, otherwise you want to cap most games at 60FPS (VSync to match the monitor refresh rate) and there's a limit on how demanding that which varies but most games are at or near the highest quality with an HD5870 or GTX560Ti. I highly advise you to put the money in the bank towards a future upgrade.

Did you know that NVidia's next card coming out in probably Q2 2012 will be up to 3x the performance of the 500 series at the same power consumption? Power means noise, and radiators still have fans.

Water cooling:
I don't know all the kits available. Again, I highly recommend you don't get a second graphics card. Assuming you do not, then you should be choosing between:
a) graphics card cooling only, or
b) CPU and graphics card

I have a high-end CPU and a large Heatsink. My CPU fan is very, very quiet.

Because the GTX590 has two GPU's it will be very loud. you definitely will benefit from water cooling. Basically I'd water cool the CPU if there wasn't much difference in price than installing a good CPU heatsink. (keeping in mind a really good heatsink is $50 to $80 or more)
August 19, 2011 8:34:52 AM

Yes I'll be running 3- 25" HD monitors and I may wait on the extra card. I have to water cool the card because it's the evga 590 hydro copper classified. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 7:18:46 PM

I wouldn't recommend Crossfire...I do recommend SLI...it scales much better. I run SLI GTX260's and they still run excellent in every single game I've played to date.

Quote:
Did you know that NVidia's next card coming out in probably Q2 2012 will be up to 3x the performance of the 500 series at the same power consumption?

Did you know that these are the same promises made by both AMD and nVidia about each upcoming new GPU release? Let's wait and see how they great the actually are. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised and impressed than disappointed and disgruntled.

We'll get you going...give me a little bit and I'll get you some ideas. I need to charge my laptop and its my vacation day...things to do, people to see... :) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 20, 2011 12:58:25 AM

Quote:
This being your first build, I would have suggested against watercooling since its a huge step from your every day gaming pc and requires a lot of constant work on your end.

Please stop providing false information such as this...there is not a 'lot of constant work'...like what kind of 'constant work'? What 'huge step'?

So, in response to this...incorrect....absolutely, positively...incorrect.

I haven't touched my water loop in about 2 years and it still is as full as can be, performs very, very well and nothing is growing. The only maintenance I've done is blow out my radiators and fans with compressed air.

A well-planned, well-tested, well-designed water loop can run a very, very long time if you only use distilled water, a killcoil and/or some biocide without needing any maintenance. Of course, we say to drain and refill every year or sooner...but you don't have to if you have a well-running loop.
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2011 2:26:28 PM

It's still not a ton of work though. It takes only a few hours (depending on the complexity of the loop) to assemble the loop and all of the waterblocks, a few hours of leak testing (though longer is always better) and you're good to go.

As far as maintenance goes, a few preventative measures (no pre-mixed coolant, using a biocide) goes a long way in reducing issues in the loop. No clogs, no growing things, etc. Plus, a drain/refill takes about an hour, but can be shortened if a small Y + plug fitting is added (Hint to the OP: Do this. It'll save you a lot of time.).

Absolutely there is a lot of planning involved, but the more/better you plan, the fewer problems there will be in the assembly and running of the loop. Plus, looking up which shiny things you *need* to buy is fun :D 

TBH with monsters like the 590/6990, I can't imagine not watercooling them. They must be so hot...
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 22, 2011 2:26:28 PM

The vast majority of work is research, planning and even more planning. What people don't realize is that if you have a complete grasp of what you want, what you need and how to put it all together, the installation and maintenance is pretty simple...actually quite fun. The hardest part is understanding and learning the how's, why's and what's...everything else is assembly...Much like building an actual PC yourself...this just goes one step further.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off that brash with my response.

September 1, 2011 12:20:22 AM

Best answer selected by Plexs.
!