Solved

Project Proposal: Is it possible?

I have a i5-2500k on an MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) and I just bought a Hyper 212+. Been reading up on OCing and will do much more research before I actually start.

My project idea is this:
I live in Duluth, MN and it gets F-ing cold here in the winter. Thinking of running an intake duct from a window in the computer's room and run it to the front intake fans (has a screen filter on it, antec 300 illusion).

Is this asking to kill the computer (though figuring fairly low humidity and dust in the winter)? If it may be possible, how high do you think I could push it with 0c ambient temps or lower?

If I sound like a nut, I'm new to this :)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about project proposal possible
  1. doublepedaldylan said:

    Is this asking to kill the computer (though figuring fairly low humidity and dust in the winter)? If it may be possible, how high do you think I could push it with 0c ambient temps or lower?

    No idea, but what would you do in the summertime?
  2. jsc said:
    No idea, but what would you do in the summertime?


    Remove duct and run it how I do now (no AC). Thermal curtains, opening windows at night, and running with fans maxed out :/ best I can do unless I want to relocate to the unfinished dungeon of a basement.
  3. Best answer
    i live in winnipeg and had the thought cross my mind, too, but the extreme cold will most likely destroy one of your other components such as hard drive or PSU as they are not meant to operate at such low temps.
    Also, even though it gets dry outside, there are ice crystals in the air that will "mist" your PC over time.
    Not to mention unless it is a sealed & insulated duct, it will make your room freaking cold, too
    don't try it,,, next best thing is to actually just open the window in the room to lower the ambient temp as then you can keep an eye on things better, but really not a good idea either.
  4. monkeysweat said:
    i live in winnipeg and had the thought cross my mind, too, but the extreme cold will most likely destroy one of your other components such as hard drive or PSU as they are not meant to operate at such low temps.
    Also, even though it gets dry outside, there are ice crystals in the air that will "mist" your PC over time.
    Not to mention unless it is a sealed & insulated duct, it will make your room freaking cold, too
    don't try it,,, next best thing is to actually just open the window in the room to lower the ambient temp as then you can keep an eye on things better, but really not a good idea either.


    You make a good point. Maybe I'll mock up some exterior radiator system just to cool air entering the case. Probably pretty inefficient and not worth the time, but kinda want to just to see if I can (engineering student, can't help myself). I know, could just watercool, but I don't have the money and too nervous about leakage.
  5. doublepedaldylan said:
    You make a good point. Maybe I'll mock up some exterior radiator system just to cool air entering the case. Probably pretty inefficient and not worth the time, but kinda want to just to see if I can (engineering student, can't help myself). I know, could just watercool, but I don't have the money and too nervous about leakage.

    that is probably the only other way to remove heat from the area is to have a radiator placed outside the room --- but freezing would be too cold as liquids would freeze -- and would have to be a liquid system to work properly,, but like you also said *expensive*
    you really shouldn't have heat problems with your cooler,, if you do, add case fans.

    if you still want to try something in the winter, don't open your window, but put PC right next to it to catch the draft and watch the temps.
  6. That would be an interesting idea if you could make an insulated loop isolated to and from the heat sink itself, using intake and exhaust fans to boost the airflow through the tube.

    You would need some kind of capture mesh to keep unwanted entrants into the tubing, and if it gets really cold condensation could be a serious negative factor you'd have to deal with.

    However a ported intake and exhaust loop would keep the frigid air from affecting the HDDs.

    You sound like a prime candidate for my cooling solution. :)
  7. how about if you get a fridge and stick you PC in there? I got a nice drink cooler for 2 bills, has a window and everything (even a lock :) ) you'll be able to add lights and anything to your hearts content and maybe some beer.
    http://www.danby.com/product/DBC120BLS/10
  8. 4Ryan6 said:
    However a ported intake and exhaust loop would keep the frigid air from affecting the HDDs.

    You sound like a prime candidate for my cooling solution. :)


    Hm, that would be interesting too, but I could definitely see condensation as a problem, unless I could manage to totally isolate the cooler from the system (again, more work than worth probably).

    I like your system, however if I did it, probably would run a fridge's old radiator in the cooler and make it closed loop. Also would not help my fear of watercooling (which I have to get over someday, I've seen some sick builds).
  9. monkeysweat said:
    how about if you get a fridge and stick you PC in there?


    Also interesting, use as heat exchanger, however, would spike the electric bill...
  10. doublepedaldylan said:
    Also interesting, use as heat exchanger, however, would spike the electric bill...

    if you keep beer in there it will save you some walking, though and you won't care about the extra 10 bux a month in electricity :)
  11. monkeysweat said:
    if you keep beer in there it will save you some walking, though and you won't care about the extra 10 bux a month in electricity :)


    I like your thinking, but I'd have to stay perpetually drunk, because I'd eventually notice the beer costing money too.

    If I work out some cheap system this winter, I'll post about it, in the mean time, I'll just have to mess with some sketches of possible setups.

    They day I go to true water cooling is the day I custom build a computer desk/case :)
  12. Best answer selected by doublepedaldylan.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Computer Intel i5 Overclocking