Upgrading Dell Motherboard

ajth87

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
hey everyone,

Well right now I am interested in either upgrading my current PC or buying a new one. I just want some advice on my current upgrade ideas. I was thinking of purchasing this Asus mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377
and also the intel core 2 quad q8400 along with some memory, a graphics card, and a new PSU. I will be, if decide, installing them into my current Dell Inspiron 530. Will this all be compatible? Though I am fairly computer savvy, what would need to be done to get it back up and running properly after the installation of the new parts? Thanks for any feedback.

The I530 is a micro ATX case, the board you have chosen is full size ATX, that wouldn't work.

ajth87

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
thanks for all the suggestions!! well after some contemplating, I decided to just buy a new pc that would allow for more and better upgrading. I went out and bought the ASUS CG5270..so far love it! though I do have a couple questions..

Ok so I have a NVIDIA 9500GS that came out of a friends HP desktop. When I install it into my pc (btw i have the CG5270) and connect it to the monitor via DVI, my monitor just goes into power save mode and nothing shows on the screen. I then plug the monitor back into the integrated card and same issue. I have to remove the 9500GS in order for the integrated card to function properly. I do notice a small white connector on the 9500GS though I don't see any plugs connectors from the PSU that would go to it..Any suggestions?

Also, I see that there is an allotted space for the PSU whereas there are bracket-like structures that secure it in place meaning I am only able to replace the PSU with one of the same size. Might anyone know of any good PSU's that are a direct fit for this pc? I do plan on upgrading the PSU, adding a case fan, and upgrading the graphics card beyond the 9500GS in the near future. Thanks for any feedback.