Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Dell Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2010 2:46:25 AM

hey everyone,

Well right now I am interested in either upgrading my current PC or buying a new one. I just want some advice on my current upgrade ideas. I was thinking of purchasing this Asus mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and also the intel core 2 quad q8400 along with some memory, a graphics card, and a new PSU. I will be, if decide, installing them into my current Dell Inspiron 530. Will this all be compatible? Though I am fairly computer savvy, what would need to be done to get it back up and running properly after the installation of the new parts? Thanks for any feedback.

More about : upgrading dell motherboard

January 13, 2010 3:07:30 AM

If you plan to purchase your processor rather than re-use the one you have, why are you going LGA 775?

Also most likely you will need a new case.
m
l
January 13, 2010 3:14:16 AM

The reason for LGA 775 is because I want to use the C2Q Q8400..
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 4:09:51 AM

Start over. You're practically building a new system except for the Dell case and HD you want to keep.
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:13:15 AM

Maybe we are cross talking? Are you wanting to use the Q8400 because you already own one?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 11:05:03 AM

ajth87 said:
hey everyone,

Well right now I am interested in either upgrading my current PC or buying a new one. I just want some advice on my current upgrade ideas. I was thinking of purchasing this Asus mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and also the intel core 2 quad q8400 along with some memory, a graphics card, and a new PSU. I will be, if decide, installing them into my current Dell Inspiron 530. Will this all be compatible?

The I530 is a micro ATX case, the board you have chosen is full size ATX, that wouldn't work.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 12:10:24 PM

If you live near frys, they have the q9400 with biostar p45 board for $159.99 after rebate. They also have a raidmax case with 380w ps for only $19.99 which will work with this board. I would ditch the dell case also.
m
l
January 15, 2010 3:13:58 PM

thanks for all the suggestions!! well after some contemplating, I decided to just buy a new pc that would allow for more and better upgrading. I went out and bought the ASUS CG5270..so far love it! though I do have a couple questions..

Ok so I have a NVIDIA 9500GS that came out of a friends HP desktop. When I install it into my pc (btw i have the CG5270) and connect it to the monitor via DVI, my monitor just goes into power save mode and nothing shows on the screen. I then plug the monitor back into the integrated card and same issue. I have to remove the 9500GS in order for the integrated card to function properly. I do notice a small white connector on the 9500GS though I don't see any plugs connectors from the PSU that would go to it..Any suggestions?

Also, I see that there is an allotted space for the PSU whereas there are bracket-like structures that secure it in place meaning I am only able to replace the PSU with one of the same size. Might anyone know of any good PSU's that are a direct fit for this pc? I do plan on upgrading the PSU, adding a case fan, and upgrading the graphics card beyond the 9500GS in the near future. Thanks for any feedback.
m
l
!