Sign in with
Your question

I just recently installed windows 7 on my computer now it says my license is not

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • License
Last response: in Windows 7
December 16, 2009 2:04:57 AM

i just recently installed windows 7 on my computer and now it says the liscene is no good how do i get it back without having to buy it again

More about : recently installed windows computer license

a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2009 2:35:32 AM

Was this a full version or a upgrade version?

If it was a upgrade version, did you do a clean install or do the upgrade?
If it was the upgrade version and you did a clean install your Key will not work. You have to edit the registry and do a rearm - google "window 7 upgrade clean install"

Added:
Ref: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/c [...] _media.asp
Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.

Alternate procedure:
Do a clean install - BUT DO NOT enter Key
After you have done a clean instal, Do an install a 2nd time like you would for upgrade, this time enter your Key.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2009 4:17:01 AM

"i just recently installed windows 7 on my computer and now it says the liscene is no good how do i get it back without having to buy it again"

I'm sure that's not what it says, what does it say exactly?
Did you buy it? if so which version?
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2009 5:23:26 AM

Alternative procedure - talk to Microsoft. If your copy is genuine and your key is valid they will fix your problem.
m
l
December 16, 2009 5:42:26 AM

lostinkv said:
i just recently installed windows 7 on my computer and now it says the liscene is no good how do i get it back without having to buy it again

Most likely reason is that you reset the date on your system. Most likely the OS is lying to you just to get you to register now, rather than giving you the normal 30-day period. You can stop the annoying message by registering, but if you're not ready to register yet you can reset the registration timer:

Go to Start-Programs-Accessories
Right click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run As Administrator"
Type the following command line:

slmgr -rearm

Restart when prompted.

Edit: Freaking lying bass turds at MS, the proper message should be "The registration period has expired" but they instead say "This copy is not geniune" because they're trying to freak you out.
m
l
December 16, 2009 2:49:38 PM

If you havent activated your Windows Copy, right click My Computer>Properties>scroll down to "Activate this copy of Windows"

Run>CMD>slmgr -rearm works also but you will still have to Activate Windows at some point in time.
m
l
December 16, 2009 7:15:09 PM

knotknut said:
If you havent activated your Windows Copy, right click My Computer>Properties>scroll down to "Activate this copy of Windows"

Run>CMD>slmgr -rearm works also but you will still have to Activate Windows at some point in time.

You're right about that, you only get 3 resets. But I'm still of the opinion that people should have the full 30 days, even if the system they installed on had the wrong date set in BIOS. My opinion against MS labeling the OS as "certainly bogus", not even "maybe bogus", is a little stronger.
m
l
!