Sign in with
Your question

A8N SLI

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2010 4:52:50 AM

Hi guys,

so I bought a second-hand motherboard over ebay to replace my current one which is having all sorts of issues that indicate it is dying.

I got an A8N-SLI which matched my current hardware, but I can't get it to boot! I get the long-short-short beeps.

I've got 2 PCI-Express graphics cards and one PCI card, all from working boxes - no change at all. The only thing I haven't tried is setting up SLI.

As for the RAM, I've got two different types, both from working boxes, but there is no difference between the two. -
A1 - no beeps, no boot
A2 - no beeps, no boot
B1 - long-short-short
B2 - long-short-short

According to the manual, a single RAM card should be in B1.

If I boot with nothing connected, I still get the beeps.

Does anybody have any advice for how I can get this board to work or confirm that the board is dead?

More about : a8n sli

a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 3:44:08 PM

Did you make sure to check all connections to the board?

Does the board need a BIOS update from the factory BIOS to support the chip you are trying to use?

Did you buy it from a Power seller whom is able to assure you that the board is not dead?
m
l
January 13, 2010 4:00:21 PM

I owned an A8N SLI back in the day and I do have some comments about the BIOS flash suggestion. I bought an X2-4400+ pretty much the week they came out and I had major concerns about the board even posting with that processor. I knew that I'd need a certain BIOS revision for the processor and I had no clue what BIOS revision the board would ship with... well, when I got the system assembled, it did POST, but the processor could not be identified. This at least allowed me to update the BIOS in order to properly identify/utilize the chip.

I'm not saying a BIOS update won't fix your problem... I'm just saying I believe your board would post with virtually any CPU that physically fits in that socket... you'd still need to update the BIOS, but it should POST-as is... that is based on my personal experience with ONE system... so take this information with a grain of salt.

I believe you have some other problem... consider building your rig outside of your case (on a piece of cardboard for example) just to eliminate electrical shorts as your culprit.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2010 3:29:53 AM

I checked all connections - it was not a power seller and I was not impressed with the way it was packaged. It's entirely possible something was broken in transit.

How would I go about updating the BIOS if I can't get the board to POST?

I'll take it out of the case and do everything from scratch again - maybe that's he problem
m
l
January 14, 2010 4:20:06 AM

Still no luck getting it to work outside of the case - this is getting really old. Most of the capacitors were bent after he sent it in a soft parcels surrounded in bubble wrap. Two of them are also collapsed a little on top.

Any other ideas?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2010 7:17:23 AM

I've have had the A8N-SLI up and running for many years no problems. I have seen a company on Ebay selling junk ASUS 939 boards for 15-20 dollars not guaranteeing they work. 939 MB's are hard to find today. You may have bought the board from an Ebay seller trying to take advantage of all this. Return it.
m
l
January 14, 2010 7:55:34 AM

I emailed the guy and he confirmed that he had been running an older single core CPU, so it could be an out-of-date BIOS. He's offered to send an old one that should fit if he can find one. Fingers crossed that will boot and I can update the BIOS.
m
l
January 14, 2010 12:00:39 PM

I really don't think the older processor is going to allow the board to post... that's from personal experience. However, be thankful for the free CPU!
m
l
!