Solved

PSU question for Phenom II 955

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Phenom
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 20, 2009 9:26:34 PM

I'm working on building my HTPC, and I tried searching and couldn't find much. I have a Thermaltake 500W Purepower PSU, would that be enough for the Phenom II 955.

Other parts include: 3 80mm case fans, 1 WD 500GB Caviar Blue, 1 Blu Ray reader, a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR, A PCI wireless card, and possibly an external hard drive, but most likely I'll stream over my network. The reason for such a high end processor in a HTPC setup is because a lot of the stuff I'll be watching will have issues with playback on DXVA. I don't think it should be an issue, but I'd like to make sure before going ahead with this.

Edit: Mobo is GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H

More about : psu question phenom 955

July 21, 2009 12:52:58 AM

Thanks, I never knew corsair had that. That's a really useful feature, the only thing it's missing is IGP. You can't set none for video card.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 21, 2009 1:56:07 AM

Your PSU will be enough since you're using the IGP. My only question is, if this is a HTPC, why all the fans? Doesn't that create more noise than the actual cooling needs warrant?
m
l
July 28, 2009 12:15:35 AM

I've actually removed 1 of the fans. I'm paranoid about keeping parts cool, I can probably safely remove another one as well from looking at temps.
m
l
July 28, 2009 12:33:02 AM

If you're not overclocking, you can remove them all. The PSU should bring in enough air and the open fan slots can vent it out. If you're fine with the noise level already though, do what you want. Its your ears and your power. CPUID makes Hardware monitor that reports all the temps. I'd use that. Unplug all the fans, run the system and see where you're at. If temps are fine, pull them out of the case.
m
l