prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hi all,

I'm putting a new build together, and I need a little help with figuring out how big of a PSU I need.

Theese are the specs:

Chasis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme Republic of Gamers
CPU: INTEL CORE I7 920 2.66GHZ 8MB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P Special Edition 1366
RAM: 2x CORSAIR 6GB DDR3 XMS3 DOMINATOR PC12800 1600MHZ
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX280/HTDP/1G *
HDD: 1x WD CAVIAR BLUE WD3200AAKS + 1x WD CAVIAR BLUE WD5000AAKS
Optical Drive: 1x NEC ND-3550A

* = Will be upgraded as soon as Nvidia release their GT300 series GPU..

I'm pretty set on getting a PSU from Corsairs HX series, but as mentioned I don't know how much power I will be needing..

Please help? :D

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
As of now, we dont have any idea how much power those high end GT300 video cards will require.
Since ATI made their 5870 a bit greener chances are, Nvidia would surely step on that same greener
path, not just to compete with the Big Bad Rads but for the sake of a more greener computing in general.

You'll be upgrading soon to a very high end GT300 series video card right?
For a more future proof set up. An 850 watt psu will surely handle all your
gaming rig needs including two very high end gpu's running on crossfireX mode or SLI.

You mentioned Corsair HX series psu, i recommend this:
http://www.corsair.com/products/hx850/default.aspx

-- Or, if you really made up your mind and promised your self to only use a single very high end GT300 video card
This one would be your best choice (since your eying on a Corsair brand).
http://www.corsair.com/products/hx750/default.aspx

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
very similar thread to mine it seems!

650HX gives you some headroom even with the GTX300s coming out (probably lol)

For now, I wouldn't get a GTX280 - either get a GTX285 because they're a touch cooler and greener (no NVIDIA pun intended) or if you're planning on upgrading so soon save some cash and get a GTX275 or Radeon 5850

Currently there are no known power supply recommendations for a system with a GTX 3XX series video card. The cards are not available for review and are not for sale. Any comment would be pure speculation. Can you wait until the cards are available?

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
For now, I wouldn't get a GTX280 - either get a GTX285 because they're a touch cooler and greener (no NVIDIA pun intended) or if you're planning on upgrading so soon save some cash and get a GTX275 or Radeon 5850

I already own the GTX280, that's why I won't get a new card untill the GT300 is out :)

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

I want a one-card setup. No need to go SLI :)

A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode.

So, a 750W PSU should easily be able to run my entire setup?

Yes;
But then so will a good quality 550W PSU.
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made.
image034.png

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

Even if I overclock the CPU? (I've never tried overclocking before, so please bear with me if it's a stupid question.)

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

Thanks man! :)

I'm going with the HX620W then.. Thanks for all the answers guys, I really appreciate it :)

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
don't know what you are doing but 12GB of RAM in combination with caviar blues? at least get caviar black or SSD since you seem to be able to afford it.

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

How do harddrives affect RAM or vice versa?

The reason I intend on using BLUE and not BLACK is that I already own them, and SSD's are waaaay to expensive at the moment. So to save some money to put elsewhere, I decided I would just keep my BLUE's :)

prebenp

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

Perhaps, but it has to improve overall system performance and somewhat future proof the system. I know a SSD would do that too, but since they price as they do, I can wait..

But you might be right, I'll go for a single 6gb pack to start with, thanks :)