Moderately priced build for graphic designer/light gamer- AMD based

Infernous

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The sooner the better, due to a good price on the mobo/Cpu combo, but lets say 7-30-09
BUDGET RANGE: $700-1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Adobe CS3 (including Photoshop and illustrator), multi-tasking (internet, music, and graphics program), light gaming (not the latest or greatest, mostly command and conquer or delta force...etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:could maybe scrape up a temporary solution for keyboard/mouse and speakers, possibly even the monitor. But if possible I would like to get everything in the budget

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I prefer newegg or tigerdirect but am open to others if the price and service are worth it.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Leaning towards the AMD for bang for buck. But am open to intel although they usually run more expensive. I have compiled a list of parts I thought were good and would work together, but this is my first total build so I could use any advice.

CoolerMaster Scout Case
Pretty dead set on this one. $100

PII X4 955 BE Deneb 3.2GHz 125W & ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 790FX ATX Mobo $315 for both with combo deal while supplies last. Looking to get this or something comparable willing to OC if it isn't too difficult to get it stable.

HIS ICEQ 1GB 4670
$93 I heard HIS ICEQ had good cooling but am willing to go for another brand or moedl (ie 4850 etc) However i strongly think that I need the 1 Gig cache for the CS applications.

OCZ StealthXStream 600W
$80 Maybe overkill for this system but as i might eventually add crossfire I thought this would be a safe bet.

G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 Ram
$67

WD 750GB-32MB Cache SATA
$70

Hanns·G Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor Built in Speakers
$100

LG Black 22X DVD+R SATA Bulk LightScribe
$28
Total: $843

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Eventually crossfire (as SLI is having a lot of problems lately) I would like to buy a decent card now and crossfire when i get more money.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900+

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want good cheap and stable. I know they don't usually all work that way.. but i did say good not great. This build is for my stepdad. I wanted to build a comp for his b-day. He is a graphics designer and works a lot with CS3 and will soon upgrade to CS4 when he gets the money. He currently works off a 4-yr old sony vaio laptop that was great in it's day but is now barely chugging along with the newer programs. I am also considering a similar build to this for myself. {I multitask a lot and I play WOW and would like to play Oblivion but probably not much more than that. I like older games and don't usually play COD or other shooter games on my comp. I realize i could use a 512MB video card for my build. Myabe even an X3 but I like to convert vids and have 2-5 programs running at almost all times, so I dunno.} But I would primarily like advice on his build.

P.S. I accidentaly posted this on the UK/Ireland thread.. i don't even know how that happened, but I didn't intentionally double post.

Infernous

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I've been told to make these following adjustments by gkay09:
quoted "Hi...you have chosen good components...But there are few changes that you can consider...

1. CPU + Mobo combo...Get this combo instead of that one...The 790GX mobo also overclocks pretty well and would be more than suffice for you needs...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.212580

2. Monitor - Get a better resolution monitor...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009127

3. HDD - Get the Faster WD Black 640GB...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

4. PSU - Get the better Antec EA650...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

5. Spend more on the graphics and get the HD 4850 1GB...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150351
"

Gkays build is better balanced and will game better , but is still a very cpu orientated build .

For most people Id say step back from the expensive 955 cpu and get an X3 720 be combo with a 790 gx mb
You are not going to notice the difference in cpu power most of the time , and it will free your budget enough to include a 22 inch or larger monitor .

Infernous

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
See for my rig I won't be using CAD or CS4 applications and I was considering that CPU as it is almost 100 bucks cheaper, but as my stepdad uses a lot of Creative Suite programs and multitasks, I wasn't sure if the 3 cores would be able to render all the photoshop and illustrator images close to the 4 core's potential... I don't know if that made sense.. I am not arguing just unsure exactly how multithreaded apps work and take advantage of multiple cores and how many you need to multitask sufficiently..

Infernous

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I'll do that. And if he feels it's too slow, then i'll use it for my rig and i'll buy him the Deneb. But honestly either one is much better than what he's got now..

Quick question: will this ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 really make the x3 a 4-core? or at least run like a 4-core.. i'm not quad obsessed i was just reading the reviews and someone said that they were able to unlock the 4th core on the PII-X3 720BE which is the one i'm looking at, and I didn't really understand what they meant.