Sign in with
Your question

CPU, BIOS, PC stopped working

Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2009 6:43:37 PM

Hi,

I've ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 board and AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor.

I thought I'd clean up processor and surrounding areas, took the heat sink and the fan, which are adjoined by releasing the latch on the side and cleaned it up and now it'd not work. I can't even get to my BIOS.

When I power up my computer, CPU's fan and others fans rotate and that's about it. Nothing else happens - no signal to the monitor. Keyboard num-lock keys turns on and I can't gracefully powerdown my PC either, had to pull the plug to turn it off.

I think I screwed it up, any suggestions if I'm doing something wrong or if I could check something ?

To clarify, when I removeed the latch, what came out was the heatsink and processor. I then had to separate the Processor from the heat sink. What left is in the board is the AM2 socket.

Now, I'm not sure if the processor was supposed to remain with the AM2 socket to release it separately using the AM2 release latch. The pins on the processor seems to be in tact.

Also, do I need a functional CPU to even see the BIOS messages ?
Thanks much.
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2009 7:16:22 PM

4 pin CPU plugged in? HSF installed correctly?
m
l
October 18, 2009 7:33:02 PM

HSF - Heat Sink Fan ? Yes, its installed correctly. 4-pin CPU - sorry don't know what do you mean by that, can you give me details ?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2009 7:39:47 PM

He means the 4 pin CPU fan connector. Also make sure it's on the correct way, the motherboard might be set to not start on CPU fan failure.

Go back and make sure you haven't left any residue behind e.g. a little bit of cleaning product that's shorting out something. Also check the CPU pins again, if one was bent and re-inserted, it may have folded completely flat against the processor.

I'm assuming you didn't touch the pins of the CPU, this can (hasn't happened to me, but it can) cause static damage.

Hopefully that helps, I had a similar situation last week, it's rather stressful and can take the fun out of things sometimes. Good luck.
m
l
October 18, 2009 8:01:42 PM

Oh yes, the fan's 4-pin CPU fan connector, when connected spins the CPU's fan.
m
l
October 18, 2009 8:03:06 PM

You're right. Not know what's going on, is frustrating :)  If this is still alive and can work, great... otherwise, my next fear is hopefully the socket is intact, to even receive another processor, if that's the only resort for me to wake this computer from coma.

What a turn of event - intention to clean the PC turned crazy :) 
m
l
October 18, 2009 8:49:12 PM

Did you pull out the 4-pin CPU 12V power cable?
m
l
October 18, 2009 9:55:53 PM

Nick, to step back - when I wanted to clean the surface around the CPU, including the CPU/Heat sink, the 1st I disconnected properly ( and not pull out ) was the CPU fan's connector.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2009 11:30:14 PM

Yeah he means the 4 or 8 pin power connector I think.
Different connection.
m
l
October 19, 2009 12:08:05 AM

cosmo_kramer, he's not talking about the 4 pin fan connector. He's talking about the 4 pin 12V CPU power connector. It's square. A power cable from the power supply connects to it.
m
l
October 19, 2009 5:39:22 PM

Terry1212 : Thanks!

Nick_C : No, that's intact, I didn't pull/disconnect any others.
m
l
!