Problems setting up port forwarding for Remote Desktop

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 2:42:04 AM

I just started playing around with Remote Desktop and I love it.
However, I'm having a problem changing the port that the client uses
to connect.
Here's what I've done. I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 router. I
successfully set up port forwarding so that if I use the Remote
Desktop Client to connect to the router's WAN IP, 123.456.789.1 at
port 3389 it correctly forwards it to 192.168.1.5:3389.

However, I want to change the external port number so I can connect to
123.456.789.1:1234, for example and it will be forwarded to port 3389
on the correct machine.
I can't seem to get this to work. I can use Steve Gibson's Shield's
Up (at www.grc.com) to confirm that port 1234 is open. But when I try
to connect from a client, it doesn't work.

Can anyone help?

thanks,
Peter
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 2:42:05 AM

Peter Kronenberg wrote:
> I just started playing around with Remote Desktop and I love it.
> However, I'm having a problem changing the port that the client uses
> to connect.
> Here's what I've done. I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 router. I
> successfully set up port forwarding so that if I use the Remote
> Desktop Client to connect to the router's WAN IP, 123.456.789.1 at
> port 3389 it correctly forwards it to 192.168.1.5:3389.
>
> However, I want to change the external port number so I can connect to
> 123.456.789.1:1234, for example and it will be forwarded to port 3389
> on the correct machine.
> I can't seem to get this to work. I can use Steve Gibson's Shield's
> Up (at www.grc.com) to confirm that port 1234 is open. But when I try
> to connect from a client, it doesn't work.

Change the port on the machine (Remote Desktop Listening Port) and then just
forward requests on that port on your router to the proper machine.

(Search Microsoft's site for how to do that and open up that port through
the Windows Firewall if necessary.)

--
<- Shenan ->
a b G Storage

I'm not sure where you're going wrong.

I don't know for sure that your unit has this capability--which is
sometimes referred to as UPnP forwarding. If it does, and the UI is
unambiguous, it should be working.

One thought is to check that you are on the latest firmware for your device.

It probably isn't worth very much to do this just for the "security by
obscurity" aspect, but it can be useful if you have a small number of
multiple machines behind the router you want to reach.

"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
news:o sgbn0p1k6g7p7u0s30t9467kl25c7sdu8@4ax.com...
>I just started playing around with Remote Desktop and I love it.
> However, I'm having a problem changing the port that the client uses
> to connect.
> Here's what I've done. I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 router. I
> successfully set up port forwarding so that if I use the Remote
> Desktop Client to connect to the router's WAN IP, 123.456.789.1 at
> port 3389 it correctly forwards it to 192.168.1.5:3389.
>
> However, I want to change the external port number so I can connect to
> 123.456.789.1:1234, for example and it will be forwarded to port 3389
> on the correct machine.
> I can't seem to get this to work. I can use Steve Gibson's Shield's
> Up (at www.grc.com) to confirm that port 1234 is open. But when I try
> to connect from a client, it doesn't work.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> thanks,
> Peter
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 9:29:24 AM

I have a WBR-G54, although I have not tested using Port Redirection like your trying, only Port
Forwarding like you said works.... Hmmm...

Have you tried this telnet test to verify you can get through the router using the new port?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628

Have you contacted Buffalo tech support about this to see what they have to say? I understand their
tech support is very good...

Otherwise, as "Shenan" mentions changing the listening port on the PC is the work around, if you
can't get Port Redirection to work and since you verified straight Port Forwarding works...

If you do change the listening port then make sure you...

a) reboot the PC after making the registry change and
b) make the change to the router port forwarding also.

READ THESE TWO KB ARTICLES FIRST...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756

Change the Remote Desktop listening port and calling procedure...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304304

Just for information what firmware are you running in the WBR-G54? I currently run the v2.20
firmware, if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately I have not tested Port Redirection through the router simply because my current mobile
client, an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC, does not allow me to change the Terminal Services Client/Remote
Desktop calling port like a desktop/laptop does... A big limitation...:-(

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
news:o sgbn0p1k6g7p7u0s30t9467kl25c7sdu8@4ax.com...
>I just started playing around with Remote Desktop and I love it.
> However, I'm having a problem changing the port that the client uses
> to connect.
> Here's what I've done. I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 router. I
> successfully set up port forwarding so that if I use the Remote
> Desktop Client to connect to the router's WAN IP, 123.456.789.1 at
> port 3389 it correctly forwards it to 192.168.1.5:3389.
>
> However, I want to change the external port number so I can connect to
> 123.456.789.1:1234, for example and it will be forwarded to port 3389
> on the correct machine.
> I can't seem to get this to work. I can use Steve Gibson's Shield's
> Up (at www.grc.com) to confirm that port 1234 is open. But when I try
> to connect from a client, it doesn't work.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> thanks,
> Peter
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 11:28:46 AM

Well, my router has a section for UPnp, but I don't quite understand
it. The section called Address Translation is where the Port
Forwarding is defined. It definitely lets me specify a WAN-side port
and a Lan-side.

Although I will potentially do this with more than 1 computer behind
the router, security by obscurity was part of my reason. Why do you
say it's not worth it?

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>I'm not sure where you're going wrong.
>
> I don't know for sure that your unit has this capability--which is
>sometimes referred to as UPnP forwarding. If it does, and the UI is
>unambiguous, it should be working.
>
>One thought is to check that you are on the latest firmware for your device.
>
>It probably isn't worth very much to do this just for the "security by
>obscurity" aspect, but it can be useful if you have a small number of
>multiple machines behind the router you want to reach.
>

>"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
>news:o sgbn0p1k6g7p7u0s30t9467kl25c7sdu8@4ax.com...
>>I just started playing around with Remote Desktop and I love it.
>> However, I'm having a problem changing the port that the client uses
>> to connect.
>> Here's what I've done. I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 router. I
>> successfully set up port forwarding so that if I use the Remote
>> Desktop Client to connect to the router's WAN IP, 123.456.789.1 at
>> port 3389 it correctly forwards it to 192.168.1.5:3389.
>>
>> However, I want to change the external port number so I can connect to
>> 123.456.789.1:1234, for example and it will be forwarded to port 3389
>> on the correct machine.
>> I can't seem to get this to work. I can use Steve Gibson's Shield's
>> Up (at www.grc.com) to confirm that port 1234 is open. But when I try
>> to connect from a client, it doesn't work.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Peter

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 11:32:01 AM

Thanks, I'll check all that out. I'm running 2.06 of the firmware. I
didn't know there was a later one.

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I have a WBR-G54, although I have not tested using Port Redirection like your trying, only Port
>Forwarding like you said works.... Hmmm...
>
>Have you tried this telnet test to verify you can get through the router using the new port?
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628
>
>Have you contacted Buffalo tech support about this to see what they have to say? I understand their
>tech support is very good...
>
>Otherwise, as "Shenan" mentions changing the listening port on the PC is the work around, if you
>can't get Port Redirection to work and since you verified straight Port Forwarding works...
>
>If you do change the listening port then make sure you...
>
>a) reboot the PC after making the registry change and
>b) make the change to the router port forwarding also.
>
>READ THESE TWO KB ARTICLES FIRST...
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
>
>Change the Remote Desktop listening port and calling procedure...
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304304
>
>Just for information what firmware are you running in the WBR-G54? I currently run the v2.20
>firmware, if that makes a difference.
>
>Unfortunately I have not tested Port Redirection through the router simply because my current mobile
>client, an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC, does not allow me to change the Terminal Services Client/Remote
>Desktop calling port like a desktop/laptop does... A big limitation...:-(
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 11:32:02 AM

I found the v2.20 firmware on the Hong Kong download site...

http://asia.buffalotech.com/download/index.php?c=hk

--

> Thanks, I'll check all that out. I'm running 2.06 of the firmware. I
> didn't know there was a later one.
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I have a WBR-G54, although I have not tested using Port Redirection like your trying, only Port
>>Forwarding like you said works.... Hmmm...
>>
>>Have you tried this telnet test to verify you can get through the router using the new port?
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628
>>
>>Have you contacted Buffalo tech support about this to see what they have to say? I understand
>>their
>>tech support is very good...
>>
>>Otherwise, as "Shenan" mentions changing the listening port on the PC is the work around, if you
>>can't get Port Redirection to work and since you verified straight Port Forwarding works...
>>
>>If you do change the listening port then make sure you...
>>
>>a) reboot the PC after making the registry change and
>>b) make the change to the router port forwarding also.
>>
>>READ THESE TWO KB ARTICLES FIRST...
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
>>
>>Change the Remote Desktop listening port and calling procedure...
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304304
>>
>>Just for information what firmware are you running in the WBR-G54? I currently run the v2.20
>>firmware, if that makes a difference.
>>
>>Unfortunately I have not tested Port Redirection through the router simply because my current
>>mobile
>>client, an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC, does not allow me to change the Terminal Services Client/Remote
>>Desktop calling port like a desktop/laptop does... A big limitation...:-(

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 11:32:03 AM

I just checked and the v2.20 firmware is now available on the US download site...

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads-product.ph...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

news:o OGJToptEHA.1720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I found the v2.20 firmware on the Hong Kong download site...
>
> http://asia.buffalotech.com/download/index.php?c=hk
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I'll check all that out. I'm running 2.06 of the firmware. I
>> didn't know there was a later one.
>>
>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a WBR-G54, although I have not tested using Port Redirection like your trying, only Port
>>>Forwarding like you said works.... Hmmm...
>>>
>>>Have you tried this telnet test to verify you can get through the router using the new port?
>>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628
>>>
>>>Have you contacted Buffalo tech support about this to see what they have to say? I understand
>>>their
>>>tech support is very good...
>>>
>>>Otherwise, as "Shenan" mentions changing the listening port on the PC is the work around, if you
>>>can't get Port Redirection to work and since you verified straight Port Forwarding works...
>>>
>>>If you do change the listening port then make sure you...
>>>
>>>a) reboot the PC after making the registry change and
>>>b) make the change to the router port forwarding also.
>>>
>>>READ THESE TWO KB ARTICLES FIRST...
>>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
>>>
>>>Change the Remote Desktop listening port and calling procedure...
>>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304304
>>>
>>>Just for information what firmware are you running in the WBR-G54? I currently run the v2.20
>>>firmware, if that makes a difference.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately I have not tested Port Redirection through the router simply because my current
>>>mobile
>>>client, an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC, does not allow me to change the Terminal Services Client/Remote
>>>Desktop calling port like a desktop/laptop does... A big limitation...:-(

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 11:55:45 AM

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

>I have a WBR-G54, although I have not tested using Port Redirection like your trying, only Port
>Forwarding like you said works.... Hmmm...
>
>Have you tried this telnet test to verify you can get through the router using the new port?
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628

Tried this and surprisingly (or not so), telnet can't get through.
But how can that be since Shield's Up reports the port as open?

>Have you contacted Buffalo tech support about this to see what they have to say? I understand their
>tech support is very good...

After I upgrade the firmware, that will be next. I couldn't find any
place on their website where they say what has changed. I see that
2.20 just came out a few days ago.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 11:55:46 AM

It may be simply an issue with "Port Redirection" not working versus "Port Forwarding" which is
working. Port Redirection may simply be broken in the firmware, whatever version you run.

I have an issue with not being able to get a PPTP VPN tunnel through the WBR-G54 router, even though
the Buffalo tech support FAQ claims it can be done. I guess I need to call tech support and see if
they can provide an answer, although I doubt it...

As far as release notes are concerned, they are usually rather thin on that... You could contact
Buffalo tech support about changes... If you do, please post what you find out...

Beyond that, the router supports WPA-PSK (TKIP) which plays nice with my iPAQ 5555 PocketPC...:-)

Thanks...

--

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I have a WBR-G54, although I have not tested using Port Redirection like your trying, only Port
>>Forwarding like you said works.... Hmmm...
>>
>>Have you tried this telnet test to verify you can get through the router using the new port?
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q187628
>
> Tried this and surprisingly (or not so), telnet can't get through.
> But how can that be since Shield's Up reports the port as open?
>

>>Have you contacted Buffalo tech support about this to see what they have to say? I understand
>>their
>>tech support is very good...
>
> After I upgrade the firmware, that will be next. I couldn't find any
> place on their website where they say what has changed. I see that
> 2.20 just came out a few days ago.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 20, 2004 4:02:07 PM

I couldn't accurately give you odds about how much safer such a change might
make you. Certainly it'll avoid someone simply scanning on port 3389, and
looking for a Terminal Services response. Scanning on other ports takes
very little more time, though and if someone is really after you in
particular, and not just out there browsing, I suspect it won't take long
for them to spot the port.

There's certainly nothing wrong with making that change--I'd just advise not
being too sanguine about the amount of additional protection it affords.
Use strong passwords and log successful and unsuccessful logins.

So--in the router you've defined the external port as XXXX, and the internal
port as 3389, and used the private IP of the designated host machine (which
is still correct?). And on that host machine there is either no firewall,
or, ideally, one which has port 3389 open?

When you tested with port 3389 and it worked, were you using this same
dialogue in the router--i.e. XXXX=3389?

Are you testing from the same site--i.e. do you know that 1234 is open
outbound? I hope that you aren't testing from behind the router--this often
does not work.

> Well, my router has a section for UPnp, but I don't quite understand
> it. The section called Address Translation is where the Port
> Forwarding is defined. It definitely lets me specify a WAN-side port
> and a Lan-side.
>
> Although I will potentially do this with more than 1 computer behind
> the router, security by obscurity was part of my reason. Why do you
> say it's not worth it?
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure where you're going wrong.
>>
>> I don't know for sure that your unit has this capability--which is
>>sometimes referred to as UPnP forwarding. If it does, and the UI is
>>unambiguous, it should be working.
>>
>>One thought is to check that you are on the latest firmware for your
>>device.
>>
>>It probably isn't worth very much to do this just for the "security by
>>obscurity" aspect, but it can be useful if you have a small number of
>>multiple machines behind the router you want to reach.
>>

>>"Peter Kronenberg" <pak@nospam_carouselpuppets.com> wrote in message
>>news:o sgbn0p1k6g7p7u0s30t9467kl25c7sdu8@4ax.com...
>>>I just started playing around with Remote Desktop and I love it.
>>> However, I'm having a problem changing the port that the client uses
>>> to connect.
>>> Here's what I've done. I have a Buffalo WBR-G54 router. I
>>> successfully set up port forwarding so that if I use the Remote
>>> Desktop Client to connect to the router's WAN IP, 123.456.789.1 at
>>> port 3389 it correctly forwards it to 192.168.1.5:3389.
>>>
>>> However, I want to change the external port number so I can connect to
>>> 123.456.789.1:1234, for example and it will be forwarded to port 3389
>>> on the correct machine.
>>> I can't seem to get this to work. I can use Steve Gibson's Shield's
>>> Up (at www.grc.com) to confirm that port 1234 is open. But when I try
>>> to connect from a client, it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Peter

April 19, 2011 4:28:33 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows XP to section Storage by Jpishgar
!