Hyper 212+ and Case fan placement

doublepedaldylan

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Finally broke down and got an aftermarket 212+, which will be here on Monday. I also picked up one of the scythe 133 CFM fans. My case is an Antec 300 Illusion.

My question is what to do with this new fan. My options are:

1) Throw it on the side exhaust port (which is now covered to keep unfiltered air out).

2) Switch it with the stock rear exhaust fan and place the stock fan at the side port.

3) Throw the scythe on the 212+ and take IT'S stock fan and use it in option 1 setup.

4) ?-Place it on 212+ ALONG with stock fan in push pull?

For those unfamiliar with antec 300, it has 2 120mm intakes in front, a 120 mm rear and 140mm top/rear with optional side 120 mm.

Also, which way should I face 212+, toward rear fan or toward top fan, it's pretty close to both...

doublepedaldylan

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

A little confused about what the first sentence means... Should I then take the scythe and put that as the pull, even though it's flow is 133 CFM and the stock for the cooler is ~75 CFM?

I will then also just have to keep the 5th fan port on the case sealed.

kylejs

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
You should actually send the fan on the Hyper 212 to the top. orientated so that heatpipes span from front-to-rear with fans exhausting upward and not top-to-bottom with fans blowing towards the rear of the computer case.

This removes the need for the heat-pipe fluid to fight gravity and return to it's base. More efficient, however difference in temperature is probably not that much.

TRENDING THREADS