Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Changing from single channel.

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2010 12:07:46 PM

My processor is the AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ and my mobo is an ASUSTeK Computer INC. (Asus) M2N-SLI. I'm just unsure how to change it to something else, or if my processor can even do it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 12:29:25 PM

You are restricted to 95w phenoms. Your board can't run phenom II's, even with a bios flash. If you want to stick with amd and run a phenom II, I suggest a 790gmh chipset board with onboard video, which works with your old pc6400. If you have pc5300 or slower ram, then get a ddr3 board and upgrade your ram. Never changed out a board before, then read some faqs. If you decide to upgrade, list your board and cpu on craigslist for around $80; or you might get more on anandtech's for sale forum.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 3:29:54 PM

you may want to also research if the board unofficially supports Phenom II 95w

as i found my old board (M2N-SLI Deluxe), with the newest bios could use the Phenom II's, its just not listed as official support (ie not on Asus's website, use at your own risk)
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 3:38:47 PM

i'm not sure i understand the question here, it just says what type of system you have and the title just says "change from single channel" Do you mean that you want to use dual-channel RAM instead of single channel?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 3:52:05 PM

The CPU can run memory in dual channel. In order for that to happen though you need to have at least two memory sticks of the same size and preferably of the same speed, timings, and voltage. If your sticks are not meant for dual channel, you may have to raise the voltage and or loosen the timings in order to ensure stability in dual channel mode. Make sure to run memtest for a while to be sure that your RAM settings are safe and stable. If you don't know what memtest is then google it.
m
l
January 13, 2010 6:50:31 PM

I have DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399 MHz) - [DDR2-800] 2 of them at 2 gig each.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 8:01:11 PM

just use the 2 x 2-gig sticks in the color-coded RAM slots and it will run in dial-channel mode, simple as that.

If you have 4 RAM slots and 2 are red, other 2 are yellow, put the Ram sticks in both the same colors to run them in dual channel.
January 20, 2010 12:56:43 AM

Best answer selected by StatiicGrazer.
m
l
!