Sign in with
Your question

Will a sound card improve microphone SQ?

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2009 9:07:14 PM

I'm wanting to plug a microphone into my computer via a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but a quick question arose. Will a sound card improve the sound quality, or will the integrated sound be adequate? Thanks :) 
October 19, 2009 1:01:01 AM

depending on what you are using it for, just for online chat, use the intagrated, but if you are recording stuff like singing, go with an aftermarket sound card
m
l
October 19, 2009 1:06:01 AM

it also depends on the quality of the microphone, since you have to use a 1/4" to 1/8" convert it is probably higher quality than the integrated will handle so a sound card might improve quality, but try just using the integrated and if that is insufficient then invest in a sound card but the quality of the integrated sound should be sufficient unless you are using your computer as a recording studio.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2009 1:06:14 AM

I'm pretty sure sound cards only output and not input
m
l
October 19, 2009 1:13:38 AM

ubernoobie said:
I'm pretty sure sound cards only output and not input

Every one I've ever seen has had Line/Mic-In :shrugs:

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll just test it out and see how it goes :) 
m
l
October 19, 2009 2:29:00 AM

Pyroflea said:
Every one I've ever seen has had Line/Mic-In :shrugs:

That's correct. My advice, see how the existing sound is before spending!
m
l
October 19, 2009 2:38:12 AM

mi1ez said:
That's correct. My advice, see how the existing sound is before spending!

Alright, thanks. I've just never actually had a sound card in any of my computers, so I didn't know if there was some absolutely mind-blowing difference in quality or not.
m
l
October 19, 2009 5:14:05 AM

i used to have a 7.1 soundblaster card in my old pc, but that was for surround sound purpose when watching dvd's, but like they said, it depends on what your gunna do, good luck
m
l
!