Sign in with
Your question

Will a sound card improve microphone SQ?

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2009 9:07:14 PM

I'm wanting to plug a microphone into my computer via a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, but a quick question arose. Will a sound card improve the sound quality, or will the integrated sound be adequate? Thanks :) 
October 19, 2009 1:01:01 AM

depending on what you are using it for, just for online chat, use the intagrated, but if you are recording stuff like singing, go with an aftermarket sound card
October 19, 2009 1:06:01 AM

it also depends on the quality of the microphone, since you have to use a 1/4" to 1/8" convert it is probably higher quality than the integrated will handle so a sound card might improve quality, but try just using the integrated and if that is insufficient then invest in a sound card but the quality of the integrated sound should be sufficient unless you are using your computer as a recording studio.
Related resources
October 19, 2009 1:06:14 AM

I'm pretty sure sound cards only output and not input
October 19, 2009 1:13:38 AM

ubernoobie said:
I'm pretty sure sound cards only output and not input

Every one I've ever seen has had Line/Mic-In :shrugs:

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll just test it out and see how it goes :) 
October 19, 2009 2:29:00 AM

Pyroflea said:
Every one I've ever seen has had Line/Mic-In :shrugs:

That's correct. My advice, see how the existing sound is before spending!
October 19, 2009 2:38:12 AM

mi1ez said:
That's correct. My advice, see how the existing sound is before spending!

Alright, thanks. I've just never actually had a sound card in any of my computers, so I didn't know if there was some absolutely mind-blowing difference in quality or not.
October 19, 2009 5:14:05 AM

i used to have a 7.1 soundblaster card in my old pc, but that was for surround sound purpose when watching dvd's, but like they said, it depends on what your gunna do, good luck
!