Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2009 10:25:56 PM

I was wondering about which heatsink would be best for my Athlon 64 X2 5200+. I've got stock cooling and I plan on doing some overclocking.

There was a nice looking cooler I had found on the internet, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, or if it even supports AMD processors or not. All I know is that it was huge and It had wavy edges.

I'm a little concerned about size and I motherboard heatsink is pretty close and may bump into any large heatsink I buy. I just need something good for overclocking and looks nice inside a clear sided case.

My question; What are your thoughts?

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78 PRO
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz (With Intentions of 3GHz)
Case: Antec 900

Thanks, zodiac

More about : heatsink

a c 203 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2009 10:40:39 PM

Is this the wavy edge cooler?

Tuniq Tower 120

You can look over some different coolers here and see if you can locate the one you're interested in.

For some of the top-rated CPU coolers check out the recommendations @ FrostyTech page down for the AMD section.
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2009 10:43:01 PM

if thats the AM3 socket board thats on newegg right now. I'd just go snag a new processor first before spending money on a fan.

you could get something twice as fast for under 120$
so before you go spend 40-50$ on a fan maybe just upgrade then overclock :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 18, 2009 10:48:32 PM

rand_79 said:
if thats the AM3 socket board thats on newegg right now. I'd just go snag a new processor first before spending money on a fan.

you could get something twice as fast for under 120$
so before you go spend 40-50$ on a fan maybe just upgrade then overclock :) 

Well the board supports AM2, AM2+ and AM3 (Socket 940)

Edit: I'll probably end up getting one of the newer phenoms, thanks.
October 19, 2009 3:55:56 PM

Ive got a scythe infinity with AS5 and a wicked enermax fan (70cfm 18db) keeping a Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz at 29*C Idle appx 40*C under full non-synthetic load and stays around 50*C under Prime95. The Scythe Mugen is essentially the same thing. 10 heatpipes huge/flat copper baseplate, staggered fins. For less than $40 you cant go wrong. The stock fan pushed alot of air, prolly around 50cfm, just not as much. It was kindof a pain to install and i could prolly get better temps if i had the backplate that comes with the mugen ( But i got it secondhand for free ) but im more than happy with what ive got. For the record its huge. Seemed at least as big as the Cooler Master V8.
October 19, 2009 3:59:03 PM

Based on your picture, you've got ample clearance in all directions. I didn't need anything too extreme and went with a Coolermaster Hyper H520.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The installation is a royal pain in the butt, but I can assure you that it is securely attached to my mobo/CPU. It looks good, works considerably better than stock, and it's very quiet (by my standards at least) Like someone said earlier, www.frostytech.com is a good resource for aftermarket cooler reviews.

Btw, that's some crappy cable management you got going on there. Next time you're in the market for a case, get one with room behind the mobo for wires!
!