zodiac949

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I was wondering about which heatsink would be best for my Athlon 64 X2 5200+. I've got stock cooling and I plan on doing some overclocking.

There was a nice looking cooler I had found on the internet, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, or if it even supports AMD processors or not. All I know is that it was huge and It had wavy edges.

I'm a little concerned about size and I motherboard heatsink is pretty close and may bump into any large heatsink I buy. I just need something good for overclocking and looks nice inside a clear sided case.

My question; What are your thoughts?

tomshardware.jpg

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78 PRO
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz (With Intentions of 3GHz)
Case: Antec 900

Thanks, zodiac

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
if thats the AM3 socket board thats on newegg right now. I'd just go snag a new processor first before spending money on a fan.

you could get something twice as fast for under 120$
so before you go spend 40-50$ on a fan maybe just upgrade then overclock :)

zodiac949

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

Well the board supports AM2, AM2+ and AM3 (Socket 940)

Edit: I'll probably end up getting one of the newer phenoms, thanks.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Ive got a scythe infinity with AS5 and a wicked enermax fan (70cfm 18db) keeping a Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz at 29*C Idle appx 40*C under full non-synthetic load and stays around 50*C under Prime95. The Scythe Mugen is essentially the same thing. 10 heatpipes huge/flat copper baseplate, staggered fins. For less than $40 you cant go wrong. The stock fan pushed alot of air, prolly around 50cfm, just not as much. It was kindof a pain to install and i could prolly get better temps if i had the backplate that comes with the mugen ( But i got it secondhand for free ) but im more than happy with what ive got. For the record its huge. Seemed at least as big as the Cooler Master V8.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Based on your picture, you've got ample clearance in all directions. I didn't need anything too extreme and went with a Coolermaster Hyper H520.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

The installation is a royal pain in the butt, but I can assure you that it is securely attached to my mobo/CPU. It looks good, works considerably better than stock, and it's very quiet (by my standards at least) Like someone said earlier, www.frostytech.com is a good resource for aftermarket cooler reviews.

Btw, that's some crappy cable management you got going on there. Next time you're in the market for a case, get one with room behind the mobo for wires!