barefootdan

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
atm i just got a 4850 but i may need to spend more money on a psu. is it worth it to return it a wait for the next gen cards? or is the 4850 gonna good for a while? how about the 9800gt?
any estimate onwhen the new cards will come?

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

There are no for sure release dates or prices. Everything is just speculation until there is an official release from the manufactorers.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You might also consider if you are willing to wait for any bugs in the cards or drivers to be indentified by others and fixed. I try not to buy a major new release - generally for about 6 months - depending on reports. But others obviously have no problem - or even enjoy - futsing with them.

If you "need" the card now get it. If you are just itching to upgrade then I would wait.

If nothing else the new releases should drive down the price of the current cards and save you some mooolaah...

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
If your card plays all your games, wait. If not, then still wait a while because the new cards most likely will bring down the price of the card you will buy now anyway.

That's my 1.5 cents...

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Either way, you will need a new psu. If it's not good enough to power a hd4850, it won't be good enough to power a higher end next gen gpu. As with most electronics, the longer you wait to buy, the better and cheaper a new video card will be.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

We do not know when they will be released. There has not been an official press release for the release date as of yet. It is all speculation. Where is your proof that it will be less than 6 weeks?

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

"ATI to have 4 DX11 cards in October
Nvidia to have nothing but hot air"
:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/06/22/ati-have-4-dx11-cards-october/

"ATI to lauch DX 11 GPUs in seven weeks":

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/7/22/ati-to-launch-directx-11-gpus-in-seven-weeks.aspx

Others:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/06/02/amd-show-dx11-hardware-tomorrow/

http://www.skymoyan.cn/2009/07/31/ati-directx-11-family-exposed/

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,689522/AMD-beliefs-DirectX-11-Radeons-pleasantly-fast/News/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_R800_.28HD_5xxx.29_series

"AMD's Developer Relations Chief Richard Huddy demonstrated the abilities of the first DirectX 11 graphics card from the Evergreen series. He is sure that the DX11 graphics cards will be a pleasant surprise when they are released later this year.
Richard Huddy, AMD's boss of the Developer Relations department

Richard Huddy, AMD's boss of the Developer Relations department [Source: view picture gallery]
AMD's Evergreen family of DirectX 11 compatible graphics card is supposed to be launched in 2009 - the GPU manufacturer is quite sure that it will be possible to offer DirectX 11 cards in time for the release of Microsoft's Windows 7 on October 22. "

Of course, I cannot fully guarantee about when the DX 11 would be release but there are many rumors about ATI had promised or announced that their Evergreen GPUs would be release sometime in this year around October (during the release of Windows 7: October 22nd). Or maybe I am just part of the rumors.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

What about "There has not been an official press release for the release date as of yet" was hard to understand?

Those links you posted have been placed on the forum a hundred times.. we are well aware of them all.. it is still just speculation... Until the official word is out the dates are subject to change..

The parts you highlite are also saying anywhere from october to by teh end of the year.. how exactly does that translate into you knowing for sure that they will be in less than 6 weeks?

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

What about I am just part of the rumors? What is your problem with the rumors??? Sometimes the rumors could be correct and sometimes they could be wrong. Anyway, I really believe that the DX 11 cards will come in this October which is also my opinion.

Well, the possibility is quite high.... TSMC also had already fixed the problems with 40nm GPU.... :)

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

+1 could not have said it better myself. I just wish people would stop spreading rumors as facts. It is ok to say rumor has it that ati will release cards shortly but saying that they will be releasing cards in less than 6 weeks is bullocks and there is no real proof just speculation. Lets take it back to the release of Half life 2. How many times was it postponed, or hey look at the nvidia fx 5800 ultra. Too much in the tech industry gets postponed or rumors are completly wrong. Lets stick to the facts and not say something will be released until there is an official release date set by ATI.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Our problem is not the rumors it is with the people posting the rumors as facts such as yourself.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
It is fine to express your opinion and the stuffs you read online, then why the heck do they even bother to print them onto news articles? hmmmm...

I did not say that it is a fact but it is based on what most people said online. Believe it or not, it is up to you, not me.

Anyway, I think that I gave the best advice that anyone could give, it is a no-brainer to buy something that is about to be obsolete soon while there is something new at the corner ready to be release soon.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Lots of people think tabloids are news. You stated that "In less than 6 weeks, ATI will release DX 11 cards". That is stated as a fact period. No where did you say that people say or that that is based on what people say.

I am not saying that it is not going to happen in 6 weeks, but there is no proof and as such we should not lead people into believing that this will happen. If you would have taken the time to word it differently then it would have been all good and nothing would have been said. I just have a problem with misleading people based on rumors and not facts.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Anyway, I think that I gave the best advice that anyone could give, it is a no-brainer to buy something that is about to be obsolete soon while there is something new at the corner ready to be release soon.

Of course, we don't wanna miss DX 11 party or new generation of GPU.

You are not going to stop the rumors anyway. Many people are already talking about DX 11 cards! Duh!

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

The current technology is far from being obsolete. It will take a while for dx 11 to really be used and it will not be fully dx11 only support. It will be based on dx9 with dx11 extensions. Same thing happened with dx9 and dx10. I agree that if someone is able to wait 2 month to a year depending when it really is released or completely stable then wait till all the driver issues and software is released for dx11. if you need something now get something now as you will be able to play any of the titles that are released with dx11 on current cards just a little less eye candy.

We still do not know what the real difference in dx10 and dx11 will be as there is nothing written for it as of yet. I have been in this industry for well over 10 years and have seen this time and time again.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Hp usually install crap psu's in their systems which may say 450 watts but usually that is the max wattage and does not have enough amps on the 12v rail to power much. i would recomend a reliable company like this psu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703015
Antec, pc p&c, and corsair are some of the better brands. You should not need much more than 500 watts if it is a good psu and should give you more options for upgrading gpu's in the future.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Well, that's your opinion. I respect your opinion but as a customer, I still wanted something "newer" that is going to work well for the next 2-3 years but your DX 10 or DX 10.1 cards would not be able to use full DX 11 features. You are not even able to use OpenCL in the future with DX 10 cards. There will also be some DX 11 titled games coming in this year after Windows 7. DX 11 cards would still future proof yourself for the next 2-3 years or before DX 12 comes out. It is about which tech will become obsolete first. Of course I am just predicting that DX 11 will live for the next 2-3 years and this is my opinion so I don't guarantee but the best option is to wait and get DX11 cards since they are about to come by this year. I am almost 100% sure that ATI will release DX 11 by this year even if there is no official confirmation yet. Normally new generation video cards would be release after 6-12 months after the older generation cards. ATI Evergreen cards should already have been release in July but they delayed because TSMC was having problems with 40nm GPUs. Now, TSMC had already fixed these 40nm issues so there is a high possibility that ATI and NVIDIA are going to release DX 11 cards in October. DX 11 is a bigger step than DX 10 so you cannot compare DX 10 with DX 11 because DX 11 would be the one that most people are going to be interest more. The reason why you don't see much difference between DX 9 and DX 10 is because people refused to move to Windows Vista and the gaming consoles like Playstation 3 still uses DX 9 so DX 10 was not fully optimized since the game developers fear that they won't get a lot of profit from DX 10 market since many are still stuck with DX 9. You see what I meant? :)

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I do understand what you are saying but you originally did not post as such and as I stated before we do not know what the difference between dx10 or dx11 will be as of yet or how buggy it will be. Maybe some games will be released in oct maybe not we just have to wait and see. I am not going off opinions but experience over the years with new tech release. It happens time and time again where new technology is released and is far from ready. it has always taken time to release games and software that uses the tech the hardware manufactures release and it takes time for the manufacturer to get the bugs out of the drivers. If you have the time to wait then great but we do not know how long it will take for everythign to be stable.If need be we can go back to every major tech release in the computer industry and show how it took a while to get things right and stable. I am just saying that it will not be perfect and may not even be completly stable when dx11 and the n finally games are released. Who knows maybe the first gen of dx11 cards will be a failure like the fx 5800 ultra or the original ati x series.

It all comes down to how long you can wait for an upgrade. If you can wait 2 months to a year till the items are released and stable with software to support it great then wait. If you need something now then get it now and in a year when everything is stable upgrade then. It has shown over the years that everyone that jumps on the first release of tech ahas always had problems and been disappointed with the results. First computer I built as a kid with my fathers help was a 386 and i have been building computers ever since and been building them for customers for the past 10 years.