Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't "see" RAID 1 in Explorer on Vista Machine - Pleeese help!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2010 3:56:54 PM

Hi,

I have a home built machine with an Asus P5Q Mobo. I am running a fresh install of vista on a 500 gig Western Digital hard drive. I am trying to add two brand new WD 500 gig hard drives as a RAID 1. I think I did everything correctly. The Device Manager shows the RAID and so does the Intel Matrix Storage Console. In Disk Management, the RAID shows as a 465.76 space that is Unallocated. I can't seem to figure out how to get the RAID to show up as a Hard Drive in Vista's Windows Explorer. I am at wits end on this... Can someone help me please?

Thank you so much.

Woodroce
January 13, 2010 4:00:34 PM

I'm thinking that I am missing something obvious... I have been over & over this.

Do I need to format the drives somehow? I thought the drives were formatted when the Raid controller set them up. Do, I need to put in a partition? Augh! I am going nuts with this!

January 13, 2010 5:47:05 PM

The RAID shows up here:

And here:

And here:

But, I just don't know what to do next to get it to show up here:

Got any ideas?

Related resources
January 13, 2010 5:55:45 PM

It doesn't look like you partitioned/formatted it.
January 13, 2010 6:03:16 PM

Hi there, Aertea. Thank you so much for the reply.

Can I format the RAID 1 now? I mean, with it being set-up? I have no files in there to lose, so it's no biggie, if I can. I thought with the drives being new, they wouldn't need formatting.

How do I format them?

Thanks again for your reply!

January 13, 2010 7:31:47 PM

Okay, here's what I did-

I had three 500 gig drives, two brand new. I set the drive configuration in the bios to "raid" before I did anything. Then, with one drive hooked up, I installed Vista. Once I had vista going, I installed all the mobo files, updated Vista and got the lasted Intel Matrix Storage Console. I then shut down the computer and hooked up the two new hard drives. When it booted up I did the "cnrl-i" and told it which drives to make a RAID 1 with. Everything looks good.

I am at the stage where I have the RAID, I mean VOLUME listed as a drive that is Unallocated. I was just recently told THIS:

"Press Start - right click My Computer - Manage - Disk Management.
New RAID Volumes and single HDDs will here be seen as Unallocated.
Initialize - (Partition) - Format."

I was able to right click on the drive (Volume) and get it to initialize, but I don't know how to format it. The only option I have is to create a "simple Volume" But that says it can only be done on single disks! I don't get it. What do I do?

I feel that I am really close to getting this working. Any help I can get will be great!

January 13, 2010 7:44:14 PM

It looks like the RAID is up and running from your screenshots.

Have you tried right-clicking on the Disk 1 entry and looking for options like 'Create partition' and 'Format'?

Sorry, but I don't have an unallocated drive to hand to be able to give more detail.

Alex
January 13, 2010 7:55:16 PM

Hi, and thanks for piping in, awcroton!

When I right click on the drive over to the left, I get this:

When I right-click on the drive (actually VOLUME, right?) over on the right side, I get this:

hmmm...

What to do... what to do...
January 13, 2010 7:57:06 PM

When I go to "new simple volume", the wizard pops up and says-

Best solution

January 13, 2010 8:06:33 PM

Sorry I'm going from memory on this on - I've got a similar config on the machine that I'm on at the moment ... 2 * 150 GB WD Raptors mirrored + 3 * 500GB WD RE2s RAID 5 - and I'm not going to delete a partition to see want it says ;-)

As far as Windows is concerned, your RAID volume _is_ 1 disk - it's the hardware that knows different.

I think you want a simple volume - striped or spanned is when Windows is trying to RAID for you 'cos you don't have the hardware.

Alex
January 13, 2010 8:21:17 PM

:bounce: 

♬♪Bravo and hallelujah! ♪ ♬

I got it now....

Oh, man am I happy.

Thanks awcroton.

I got it and I am so thrilled the nightmare is over!

:pt1cable: 

January 20, 2010 12:37:49 AM

Best answer selected by woodroce.
February 5, 2010 8:44:33 PM

Creation Procedure For Non-Boot Raid 1 on Alienware Aurora
(set up through the hardware)

> install HDs for the RAID (should be identical)
> press F2 during startup
> click on Integrated Services
> change AHCI to Raid
> click on Advanced BIOS, OptionROM Display Screen > enter > Display
> F10
> reboot--when the Raid controller flashes during startup, click Ctrl-i
> create Raid volume - name it, select Raid1/mirrored, select drives, volume
size to max, create volume (ok to overwrite disks)
> escape, reboot
> start > rightclick Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management
> right click the Raid at the bottom
> select New Simple Volume... (ignore notice on the next screen)
> follow the wizard, choose to format the disk
> done!

!