Solved

Can't "see" RAID 1 in Explorer on Vista Machine - Pleeese help!

Hi,

I have a home built machine with an Asus P5Q Mobo. I am running a fresh install of vista on a 500 gig Western Digital hard drive. I am trying to add two brand new WD 500 gig hard drives as a RAID 1. I think I did everything correctly. The Device Manager shows the RAID and so does the Intel Matrix Storage Console. In Disk Management, the RAID shows as a 465.76 space that is Unallocated. I can't seem to figure out how to get the RAID to show up as a Hard Drive in Vista's Windows Explorer. I am at wits end on this... Can someone help me please?

Thank you so much.

Woodroce
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about raid explorer vista machine pleeese help
  1. I'm thinking that I am missing something obvious... I have been over & over this.

Do I need to format the drives somehow? I thought the drives were formatted when the Raid controller set them up. Do, I need to put in a partition? Augh! I am going nuts with this!
  2. The RAID shows up here:

And here:

And here:

But, I just don't know what to do next to get it to show up here:

Got any ideas?

3. It doesn't look like you partitioned/formatted it.
  4. Hi there, Aertea. Thank you so much for the reply.

Can I format the RAID 1 now? I mean, with it being set-up? I have no files in there to lose, so it's no biggie, if I can. I thought with the drives being new, they wouldn't need formatting.

How do I format them?

Thanks again for your reply!
  5. Okay, here's what I did-

I had three 500 gig drives, two brand new. I set the drive configuration in the bios to "raid" before I did anything. Then, with one drive hooked up, I installed Vista. Once I had vista going, I installed all the mobo files, updated Vista and got the lasted Intel Matrix Storage Console. I then shut down the computer and hooked up the two new hard drives. When it booted up I did the "cnrl-i" and told it which drives to make a RAID 1 with. Everything looks good.

I am at the stage where I have the RAID, I mean VOLUME listed as a drive that is Unallocated. I was just recently told THIS:

"Press Start - right click My Computer - Manage - Disk Management.
    New RAID Volumes and single HDDs will here be seen as Unallocated.
    Initialize - (Partition) - Format."

I was able to right click on the drive (Volume) and get it to initialize, but I don't know how to format it. The only option I have is to create a "simple Volume" But that says it can only be done on single disks! I don't get it. What do I do?

I feel that I am really close to getting this working. Any help I can get will be great!
  6. It looks like the RAID is up and running from your screenshots.

Have you tried right-clicking on the Disk 1 entry and looking for options like 'Create partition' and 'Format'?

Sorry, but I don't have an unallocated drive to hand to be able to give more detail.

Alex
  7. Hi, and thanks for piping in, awcroton!

When I right click on the drive over to the left, I get this:

When I right-click on the drive (actually VOLUME, right?) over on the right side, I get this:

hmmm...

What to do... what to do...
  8. When I go to "new simple volume", the wizard pops up and says-

9. Best answer
    Sorry I'm going from memory on this on - I've got a similar config on the machine that I'm on at the moment ... 2 * 150 GB WD Raptors mirrored + 3 * 500GB WD RE2s RAID 5 - and I'm not going to delete a partition to see want it says ;-)

As far as Windows is concerned, your RAID volume _is_ 1 disk - it's the hardware that knows different.

I think you want a simple volume - striped or spanned is when Windows is trying to RAID for you 'cos you don't have the hardware.

Alex
  10. :bounce:

♬♪Bravo and hallelujah! ♪ ♬

I got it now....

Oh, man am I happy.

Thanks awcroton.

I got it and I am so thrilled the nightmare is over!

:pt1cable:

11. Best answer selected by woodroce.
  12. Creation Procedure For Non-Boot Raid 1 on Alienware Aurora
    (set up through the hardware)

> install HDs for the RAID (should be identical)
    > press F2 during startup
    > click on Integrated Services
    > change AHCI to Raid
    > click on Advanced BIOS, OptionROM Display Screen > enter > Display
    > F10
    > reboot--when the Raid controller flashes during startup, click Ctrl-i
    > create Raid volume - name it, select Raid1/mirrored, select drives, volume
    size to max, create volume (ok to overwrite disks)
    > escape, reboot
    > start > rightclick Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management
    > right click the Raid at the bottom
    > select New Simple Volume... (ignore notice on the next screen)
    > follow the wizard, choose to format the disk
    > done!
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus NAS / RAID Windows Vista Hard Drives Motherboards