Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking True or False?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 18, 2011 9:29:35 PM

Are all of the following true? If nit, why not...

1. Only CPU's with a fully unlocked core can be overclocked using a "multiplier" in the BIOS without effecting memory.
2. BCLK is frequency settings for what was formerly called the FSB but is now the QPI.
3. More RAM always makes a system perform faster.
4. RAM frequency is always tied to CPU frequency for system stability.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 1:40:26 AM

1. False...Any Black edition or Intel K series have unlocked multipliers

2. True...Quick Path Interconnect, is a point-to-point interconnect implemented by Intel and replaces the Front Side Bus

3. False...example: 2x2GB DDR3 is better than 3x2GB DDR3 on a MOBO with only dual channel support

4. False...Only if your playing with the BCLK and OCing the memory beyond stock clocks, voltages, and timings..will it cause system instability but it will be from the RAM not the CPU
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 1:44:22 AM

1. False. All AMD BE's can use the multiplier method to OC, regardless of cores. BE identifies that the CPU multiplier is not capped at the stock value. When adjusting the CPU multiplier, this does not affect RAM.

2. Partially true and partially false. QPI (Intel Quick Path Interconnect) replaces FSB, but only in certain models. Bclk and FSB both refer to the same thing; the CPU frequency.

3. False. While more capacity allows for more temporary storage, RAM timing/latency is also very important. The values you see in a timing spec identify the amount of clock cycles the respective fields use to process/transfer data. For example, once you've reached the maximum supported limit of RAM capacity for your mobo, how would you improve the performance, if you can't add anymore 'space'?

4. Partially true and partially false. It is true that the RAM frequency is tied to the CPU frequency (RAM 'speed' is calculated by multiplying the FSB/Blck by the RAM:CPU multiplier), but this isn't necessarily for stability. However, it is true that if the communication gap between the RAM and CPU is too far, then you may experience some instability. For that same token, voltage also affects stability.
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 2:11:54 AM

Here are my opinions:

1- True and false: False because you can use any CPU with locked or unlocked multiplier and change the DRAM multiplier to keep the RAM running at stock setting. True because if you don't play with the DRAM frequency your only option is the BE or K series of AMD and Intel.

2- BCLK = FSB, usually can be found on AMD while Intel prefer the QPI and BLCK in 1st core i3,i5 and i7 line.

3- Depends of configuration and needs. Overclock? AMD is better with 2x4GB than 4x2GB while Intel doesn't care that

4- Again, depends of your needs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 2:16:34 AM

1. the question was ONLY..so the answer is.....False......right
2.QPI replaced the FSB on the Intel "I" series platform...so the answer is.....True..... right
3. the question is ALWAYS...so the answer is.......False
4. the question says ALWAYS...so it is......False........right...

m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 286 K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 2:18:35 AM

always only depends of your needs :sol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 2:26:37 AM

Thats cool...I hear ya.... :D  ... Indeed the need for speed :bounce: 

BTW sorry in advance OP....My PM isn't working so I gotta do it here....Saint did you check out the way I formatted the OC table? Is it up to your standards ? or Do you need me to change it back to the way it was?

Sorry again, for the brief thread hi-jack OP
m
l
!