Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hey, I had the latest drivers for my 4850 512mb 9.6

The other day I installed an optional update called "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Radeon HD 4850 series" (around 16mb) from the windows update thingy for the 4800 series and now when i turned on my computer to day I get a error
"Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working"

What seems to be the problem? Fix

I cant open up the CCC

Funny thing is i installed this update 2 days earlier and just yesterday it told me there was another update with the exactly same name so I installed this to and now I get the error. Both released August 2008

I was told by some 1 to unistall all ati software and drivers, though how do i unistall these? And where do i reinstall the latest software and drivers. I heard you had to get them from the manufactures website like sapphire or is it better or ok to install them from ati site?

Thanks.

go into device manage, open up the start menu and right click on computer/my computer(depending on which version of windows) and select manage. Click on device manage, under display adapters right click on the HD 4850, go to the drivers tab and click uninstall. Then restart, go to the ATI website and get the driver from there. Dont update a driver because windows tells you to, update it if you are having errors or if there is a new version out the improves performance and then always get them from the manufactures website not via windows.

Also make sure to take out CCC via add remove programs.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
omg hunter315 lol nows my resolution is broken?!@! and its like no graphic card is installed. Do i just download and isntall the latest drivers and software now? or do I need to do some thing before this?

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
dont worrt just restarted pc and it told me it found the graphics card again and told me to again restart and resolutions back to normal.

So ok to downlod and install drivers and software? and from which site ATI or sapphire? the card manufacture

tbtilney

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
The site is www.ati.amd.com. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the complete catalyst suite about 6 times, trying different uninstall orders of software and drivers after the first attempt didn't work. For history, I just built a new computer:

MSI P55-GD65 motherboard
Intel i7 860 2.8Ghz
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz
3 - Seagate 500GB HD's (2-are like, 1 about 6 months old)
XFX - ATI Radeaon 4850 1GB DDR3
Win 7 64 bit

I tried installing the Catalyst 9.10 drivers first, actually the entire Catalyst Suite from the AMD and ATI websites (same thing). They worked briefly, a couple of days, before I got the error "Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working". Then 5 attempts later with 9.10, no resolution, I tried to install the 9.11 Suite. Of course, I completely uninstalled the Catalyst 9.10 suite, and C++, before trying to install 9.11. Long story short I am getting the same error. Any idea's?