Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Intel Pentium wolfdale E6500.

Last response: in Overclocking
August 19, 2011 8:23:30 AM

Hello, here are my computer specs:

-Intel Pentium "Wolfdale" E6500 Dual-Core 2 2.93 GHz. *stock w/ better TP*
-Asus P5G41C-M * No BIOS update on the system*
-Crucial 2 GB DDR3 single Channel ( potential Dual Channel) RAM
-Antec Basic 500 watt
-ATI Radeon 4350 GPU @ 1 GB GDDR5 850 GHz
-Windows Vista 64 bit

1) Why am I overclocking?

-to get more out of my CPU.

2) Why?

-I perform F@H, so a theoretically faster unit could help. Also, would like things to speed up.

3) What do you want me to do?

-Help! Please. I have attempted on this board but with no avail.

any questions you may need to ask, I will try my best.

Thank you and good luck,

Dogman_1234
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 7:06:03 PM

Are you asking us how to overclock that cpu?

There are various guides on this site and elsewhere on the internet for overclocking the core 2 duo cpu's. Also you can google "e6500 overclock" and probably find other people that have done it and will give you their exact settings. Your chip might or might not overclock as well as someone else so keep that in mind too.

That cpu has a multiplier of 11 so it should be relatively easy to overclock. You may or may not need a better cooler, depending on how much overclock you want. With only 2GB of ram and Vista, you might get a performance increase just by adding some more ram.

To overclock your cpu- let's say you would like to hit 3.3 GHz which should be very easy, you would set your system bus to 300 MHz. You will also likely have to reduce the ram speed in BIOS to as low as it can go, at least to start with. You may or may not have to set your PCI bus to 100MHz. Then crank it up and see what it does, run free programs like coretemp to monitor the cpu temperature and prime95 to put a good load on the system. If the temps don't go too high, then you can raise the speed a little more. I would guess that you have a good chance of going to 3.5 or 3.6GHz, which would mean system bus speeds of 318 to 327MHz.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 8:11:42 PM

cadder, that's not his real problem. His real problem is the G41 motherboard.

In this thread, I have linked to 3 of my replies about overclocking G41 motherboards. You will need to scroll down toward the end.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2011 9:46:04 PM

Here is the issue:

I can only go to 315 FSB, which translates to 3.4 GHz. Even when voltage is in red, I get BSOD. Also, if I go to high, the BIOS won't load or the OS won't even load either...maybe a power drain.
m
l
August 19, 2011 10:00:58 PM

Update

I have reset the BIOS and changed these settings:

CMOS Setting (disabled)
C1E support (disabled)
CPUID Value Limit (disabled)
Intel Virtualization Tech (disabled)
CPU TM function (disabled)
Execute-Disable bit Capacity (disabled)
m
l
August 20, 2011 6:33:39 PM

jsc said:
cadder, that's not his real problem. His real problem is the G41 motherboard.

In this thread, I have linked to 3 of my replies about overclocking G41 motherboards. You will need to scroll down toward the end.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I have an Intel DG41RQ G41 Motherboard, which can go to 342 FSB (max) with Set FSB. PLL used = IDT CV-184-2A-PAG
m
l
!