Help needed with HP laptop bios

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 12:34:17 AM

Hi I have a hewlet packard Pavillion laptop. When I enter bios setup there are
only a few things I can acess. ie. Time and date setting, Passwords and
numlock.
There appears to be no way of changing settings such as memory timings,
shadowing or suchlike.

I recently ran a benchmarking program which gave abysmal results. It told me
that the bios had been set to safe defaults. Problem is How can I tell without
access. And how can I fine tune.

Hope someone can help. She's running like a sloth at the moment.

Nick, In Norwich UK

More about : needed laptop bios

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 10:16:20 AM

> There appears to be no way of changing settings such as memory timings,
> shadowing or suchlike.

Detailed options are not often provided in laptop BIOSes.

Modern PCs can't turn off BIOS shadowing, because the BIOS is stored
in a compressed format in flash, and decompressed into shadow RAM at
powerup.

If the laptop uses a standard BIOS (Award, AMI, Phoenix etc) then you
can load the BIOS image file (off an upgrade disk) into a
feature-editor and unhide any options that have been hidden by HP,
then flash with this special custom version. Risky, though. And it's
not a good idea to fool with fine-tuned chipset parameters on a laptop
anyway. I have twice destroyed a laptop motherboard due to overheating
doing this :(

If it is a totally custom BIOS then you have no options.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2004 4:29:49 PM

NICOLAS486 wrote...
> Hi I have a hewlet packard Pavillion laptop. When I enter bios setup there
are
> only a few things I can acess. ie. Time and date setting, Passwords and
> numlock.
> There appears to be no way of changing settings such as memory timings,
> shadowing or suchlike.
>
> I recently ran a benchmarking program which gave abysmal results. It told
me
> that the bios had been set to safe defaults. Problem is How can I tell
without
> access. And how can I fine tune.
>
> Hope someone can help. She's running like a sloth at the moment.

Slow on battery or AC as well? There is an HP notebook issue that means
extra throttling is applied when on battery power - even when power
management is set to "Always On". If this is happening to yours then a
common workaround is to put the computer into standby and then resume.

David
!