8 port RAID card

I am looking for a good 8 port RAID card to run RAID 5 on, I have a 6 core 3.2Ghz cpu so I don't think that a software card would make that huge of an impact on the CPU..but whatever you guys reccomend, (though I would like to keep it on the cheaper end)

THanks!

edit: can be larger than 8 port if it isnt too expensive
9 answers Last reply
More about port raid card
  1. Nobody has a good 8 port RAID card?
  2. There are ADAPTEC, ARECA and HPT raid card... they offer hardware and hardware assist...
  3. Real RAID cards are expensive. Look at this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raid-array-ssd,2915-3.html

FireWire2 has been posting a ling to a good 5-port device for about $200, but it caps out at 3 Gb/s

Edit: That was originally "3 GB/s". If I could get transfer rates like that, I would have already bought a few of them.
  4. What about a 4 port SAS card, with 4 SATA splitters? Will that work for an 8 drive RAID?
  5. xXMetalicDustXx said:
    What about a 4 port SAS card, with 4 SATA splitters? Will that work for an 8 drive RAID?

???!!! I don't think such a beast ever exist.

You can use 2x SPM393 cost $119.00/ea connect up to 10x drives. You can configure the raid as RAID50. Which gives you 2 parity drives and over 430MB/sec transfer rate
  6. FireWire2 said:
    ?You can use 2x SPM393 cost $119.00/ea connect up to 10x drives. You can configure the raid as RAID50. Which gives you 2 parity drives and over 430MB/sec transfer rate

FireWire2: for my understanding, you would have to do the mirroring at the OS or chipset level? Or can these devices connect to each other?
  7. Once connected

OS will show TWO big drives. 8TB if 5x 2TB are used and 12TB if 3TB are used.

In Windows convert these to Dynamic drive and create a Stripe volume in Drive Manager
    In MAC use the built raid function of Disk Utility to create a Stripe volume

That's all to it
  8. so no one ever really recommended an 8 port RAID card..haha
  9. xXMetalicDustXx said:
    so no one ever really recommended an 8 port RAID card..haha

Look at the one that Tom's used in the article to which I posted a link. Tom's seemed quite satisfied with it for up to 8 drives, but not for a pair of them running 16 drives. So try one of those.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID CPUs Storage