Sign in with
Your question

New Hard Drive not Recogized

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2010 12:32:13 AM

I have an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe motherboard with an integrated RAID controller. I removed two SATA hard drives and replaced them with ONE new 750GB SATA hard drive. When I tried to install a new Win 7 OS it could not find the hard drive.

Does this motherboard configuration prevent me from using just one SATA hard drive? Must I have two hard drives so that it can be accessed via RAID?

The motherboard manual has a heading called “Installing a New Hard Drive”. But this is a subheading under the main heading of RAID Configuration. It sounds like I can only access a hard drive using RAID which seems strange to be so limited.

Can someone confirm this?

More about : hard drive recogized

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2010 12:51:03 AM

Right first of all, since you had two hard drives you obviously had a raid setup.
Since you replaced both the drives for one new 750Gb sata.
Raid is no longer and option.
You will have to go into your bios and disable the raid function.
The windows 7 OS should then pick the hard drive up, so you can format the drive and begin installing windows 7.
You can only use raid with a minimum of two hard drives.
Since you only have one now turn the raid function off.
January 14, 2010 1:59:46 AM

Shaun o said:
Right first of all, since you had two hard drives you obviously had a raid setup.
Since you replaced both the drives for one new 750Gb sata.
Raid is no longer and option.
You will have to go into your bios and disable the raid function.
The windows 7 OS should then pick the hard drive up, so you can format the drive and begin installing windows 7.
You can only use raid with a minimum of two hard drives.
Since you only have one now turn the raid function off.

Hi Shaun. Thanks for the quick response. I did think of the BIOS and selected Hard Drives and it wasn't there. I just now found in under Advanced menu and selected Onboard Device Configuration. The SATA mode choices were RAID or IDE. I selected IDE and still have the same problem.

The hard drives are connected using SATA cables not IDE cables. Do I need to connect it using IDE cables because of the SATA mode option? I don't even think I have that connection on the drive. I'll have to check.

Anything else I can try?

January 15, 2010 1:27:35 AM

No you don't need to connect the hdd with a ide cable.

Dose your BIOS recognize your hdd?
!