Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will HD 4350 work in low-power slimline (Gateway SX2800-01)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2009 10:36:14 PM

I just bought a Gateway SX2800-01 slimline. It has a half-height top slot (PCI-E 16). The power supply is rated for 220W. Questions:

1. Can I safely run an HD 4350?
2. If so, does it need to be a fan model or passive-cooled? (I'm guessing fan because of the cramped airflow.
3. Are there other models that would work? (considering size, power and heat)

Thanks!

More about : 4350 work low power slimline gateway sx2800

Best solution

a c 236 U Graphics card
a c 165 ) Power supply
August 11, 2009 12:32:48 AM

1. yes but make sure its a low profile model that comes with the small bracket
2. makes no difference, fans make a bit more noise but run a bit cooler
3. you can look into the Nvidia 8400GS if I personally would prefer the ATI 4350

I have installed both cards below in slim line PC and they both work great for $25

with fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

fan-less
August 11, 2009 6:02:46 AM

Thanks for the quick answer! I ordered the fan version. I'm just a little worried about the heat since there's very little space in there.

I'll post my experience here. I'm sure there are others interested since this is a popular model.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 12, 2009 3:50:37 PM

My son and I are in the same boat - we're spec'ing a HTPC build to replace cable TV. For graphics I think we just decided on the XFX HD 4350 card - 2 versions here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/sea...

Both are fanless. They include S-Video output connectors from which we can get old-style Composite Video for our older equipment. Each also includes a bracket for conversion. The card itself is low-profile, but its standard end bracket is not. The conversion takes the VGA connector off and the new bracket accommodates the S-Video and DVI ports, but the VGA D-sub connector is ignored or mounted in a separate bracket if needed. This is going into this Apex case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

and I hope the 275W PSU it includes is sufficient.

We both should post how well these work.
Score
August 19, 2009 9:30:04 PM

One day in, so far so good. It's running smoothly and the performance seems to be very solid, especially for such an inexpensive card. It handled the GPU (OpenGL) acceleration tasks in Photoshop CS4 nicely. I haven't tried any games yet, but I expect it to work much better than the integrated video.

I will hook up a second monitor today and see how that works.

Gigabyte 4350 card
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
August 19, 2009 9:45:40 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. It helps us all in future recommendations.
Score
September 2, 2009 12:26:22 AM

I just installed the Gigabyte 4350 card into my SX2800. I noticed the 400w PSU requirement on the video card. Should I be concerned seeing as the Gateway PSU is 220W? Also I noticed my Windows Experience Index (Performance score) went from a 4.1 to a 3.7. Any concern there? I just want to play 1080p h264/.mov videos shot with my Canon Powershot SX1 IS. Is this the card for me? Heck, is this the system for me?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2009 4:08:27 AM

The 4350 only uses about 7 more watts of power then your integrated graphics did, so even the 220w power supply should be fine. I think it's fine for that use. The windows exp index isn't all that accurate.
Score
September 2, 2009 4:32:51 PM

I have been running this computer with the Gigabyte 4350 card for a couple weeks now. It's running two monitors (VGA and DVI) with no problems. I tried using the HDMI port to drive a monitor using an HDMI to DVI cable. It recognized that a monitor was connected but didn't display a signal. I switched to a regular DVI cable and all was well.

It does generate some heat, but runs very quiet. I've run a couple 3D games and it runs great. I don't have the latest games, so it may well be disappointing for hard-core gamers, but Photoshop and Premiere Pro are zippy and I can run multiple memory-hungry apps without a problem.

For less than $550 total investment (computer, video card and 20" monitor), I'm really happy with the performance. It's the cheapest computer I've ever bought and it's the most powerful.
Score
September 15, 2009 8:57:21 PM

zvannote said:
I have been running this computer with the Gigabyte 4350 card for a couple weeks now. It's running two monitors (VGA and DVI) with no problems. I tried using the HDMI port to drive a monitor using an HDMI to DVI cable. It recognized that a monitor was connected but didn't display a signal. I switched to a regular DVI cable and all was well.

It does generate some heat, but runs very quiet. I've run a couple 3D games and it runs great. I don't have the latest games, so it may well be disappointing for hard-core gamers, but Photoshop and Premiere Pro are zippy and I can run multiple memory-hungry apps without a problem.

For less than $550 total investment (computer, video card and 20" monitor), I'm really happy with the performance. It's the cheapest computer I've ever bought and it's the most powerful.

I read this thread and got the same Gibabyte 4350 card, popped it into the sx2800 but the video won't show when I have the new card in. Not on the original VGA, not on the new DVI. Is there anything else that needs to bechanged like a jumper or BIOS config for the card to run?
Score
September 16, 2009 4:23:33 PM

You'll need to change the BIOS config. When the computer boots up, go into the BIOS. Disable the onboard video and enable the add-on PCI-X slot video. I can't remember exactly what I changed, but I think it was in 2 different spots.

You definitely don't need to change any jumpers.
Score
September 16, 2009 9:43:29 PM

Thanks for the response. I went into the BIOS, but it won't let me disable the onboard video (it is greyed out) and if I select the PCIE as the primary display, nothing shows up on either display. That is strange....
Score
September 25, 2009 1:14:33 PM

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, it will be greatly appreciated. I have now stopped trying to get it to work as I can't figure out what else need I do.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 25, 2009 2:53:36 PM

fb1962, watch for a subtle distinction. When setting the video device to use, there is an important difference between a PCI video card and a PCIe video card. You must choose according to where your card is (probably PCIe).
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 25, 2009 3:20:30 PM

Update to my earlier post on the system my son and I built in an Apex low-profile case. We did use the XFX fanless (heat sink only) low-profile card based on the ATI 4350 chip, an Athlon II X2 240 CPU, 2 x 1 GB RAM, and a pair of WD Green 1.5 TB drives. Mobo is a Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H. We used two Noctua fans for case vent and CPU cooling. Although the video card recommends a 300 W PSU, we stuck with the 275 W unit included in the Apex case. We're using a small adapter to convert the video card's S-video output to Composite Video, feeding that and stereo audio (on-board) into some VCR connectors and hence to the regular (not HD) TV. Using a wireless keyboard / remote control 2-unit set whose manufacturer I can't remember - they each use trackballs. To improve its reliability, we used a short USB extension cord to place the RF transceiver for these on the shelf near the front of the machine, rather than have it stuck out the back.

The system has been in use 24/7 for several weeks downloading TV episodes for viewing when we like - with NO commercials! It is VERY quiet - can only hear minimally if everything in the room is off, certainly cannot hear it when watching TV. Our cable connection is being shut off this weekend, and I'm installing a broadband VHF / UHF antenna in our attic for local OTA signals.

My son has installed a suite of three shareware software tools for this. T.E.D. is programmable to find and download TV shows (individual specials or all the episodes of a series), Microtorrent does the actual downloading, and Boxee is the playback software. No problem watching any stored file while continuing to download more, but we're not trying HDTV or blue-ray playback. To make sure our DSL connection is easily available for other users on our home network, he has configured our first-level router to limit the bandwidth available to the new TV machine when other users are active.
Score
September 26, 2009 4:52:29 AM

Paperdoc said:
fb1962, watch for a subtle distinction. When setting the video device to use, there is an important difference between a PCI video card and a PCIe video card. You must choose according to where your card is (probably PCIe).

Both the slot and the card are PCIe
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2009 6:26:55 PM

So you have a PCIe video card and, when you set the BIOS to use this type, you get nothing on the monitor. I'm assuming you have the monitor plugged into the DVI connector on that video card, not elsewhere.

Just MAYBE there is a problem of video drivers, etc. You could try clearing things out and re-starting. Remove the video card, connect the monitor back to the on-board video out (VGA?), boot and go directly to the BIOS. Make sure it is set to use that on-board video system, then Save and Exit to complete the boot into Windows. Assuming you have a display to work with now, we'll try to uninstall the on-board system and replace it with the card.

Go into Control Panel ... System and choose the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager, and scroll down to Display Adapter to Remove this device. When you shut down and re-start, it will be gone and something else will be needed. If you don't provide it, the onboard system will be re-installed. So, shut down and install the video card in its PCIe slot. When you boot, go directly into BIOS and set the video to use that PCIe card, Save and Exit. When Windows boots it will start with a default VGA kind of driver, but also will find a new Device and go looking for its drivers to install. If you are happy to let it use the ones it already has, OK. But if you have drivers on a disk that came with the card, install them instead. Later, go to the card manufacturer's website and look for more recent driver files you can download so that the drivers can be updated in Windows.

One other thing you might need - a Windows driver for your monitor. If it's not there already, load it after you have the video card installed and working. Then when you go to set up the Display Properties it will know exactly what combination of display options (card and monitor) actually can be chosen.
Score
September 29, 2009 4:58:55 AM

Hey, "paperdoc"

I started with the same problem as "fb1962" The SX2800 has only a PCIe slot and the only options in the BIOS are "PCIe, On-Board, or Auto"

I have a conversation going on with Sapphire Tech as follows,
(fb1962, let me know if you get everything working correctly)

Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:23:30 +0800
I have a Gateway SX2800, Vista 64bit, Intel Quad core and have lost all video. I disabled the onboard video and enabled the PCIe in the BIOS. I did have the screen at first eith the new video card, but when I tried to us the enclosed CD-ROM to install the drivers the installation failed. When I restarted the computer, I had a black screen/check video cable. I have tried going back to the on board video and get nothing. I hear windows start up, but still no video.

Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:41:17 +0800
So the card does not boot at all? Can you check your onboard to see if its active when you have the card installed onto the system?

Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:39:14 +0800
I have moved on a bit further.... Now after, starting up removing card and reinserting card, I have gotten the screen back using the video card /DVI, but I can only get as far as the bios menu or the boot menu. The computer will not even start in safe mode. It gets stuck with a "please wait" in the bottom of the screen. I have set the BIOS back to optimal defaults. I have tried several times to again use the onboard video, but I don't even get to the BIOS or the boot menu. What do I do now? Is there customer phone support?
Score
September 29, 2009 1:37:17 PM

fb1962 said:
Both the slot and the card are PCIe

Did you get it working properly?

I have gotten the screen back using the video card /DVI, but I can only get as far as the bios menu or the boot men. It won't boot completely even in safe mode.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2009 2:56:32 PM

Maybe I'm stuck in a rut, but this still looks to me like a Windows driver issue. The computer seems to get all the way through the BIOS startup text messages until it gets to "Please Wait ..." and then nothing else happens on the screen even in Safe Mode. To me that says you got into the earlier part of Windows to the point where it tries to set the video card to a new mode for use and that attempt fails. From then on, whatever Windows tries to write to the video card is not being displayed. Is there a way to download and install the latest video drivers for Windows without actually being in Windows? Or, maybe you can remove the video card, get ti running windows solely on the on-board video for the purpose of installing the new video card drivers, then Uninstall the on-board video, shut down and install the card. Just MAYBE when it boots with the card in place and the latest drivers available it can work.
Score
September 29, 2009 7:23:49 PM

I think you are right about, "you got into the earlier part of Windows to the point where it tries to set the video card to a new mode for use and that attempt fails"

That's why the new card was working (in a very basic mode) until I tried to install the drivers, and they failed to completely install. Could be a 32/64 bit issue with the drivers (I will always go online 1st next time for drivers).

I have tried many times to use the onboard video, but can't get it to work again. At this point, I'm shipping it back to gateway to get back to square 1 with the onboard video working again. Sucks, cuz I just got the computer 5 days ago. I just want to make sure to avoid this next time. I have seen forums of people using this combination (the Gateway SX2800 and the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express) so, I don't think it could be a compatibility issue.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2009 2:09:06 PM

Yeah, it does seem wrong to be unable to use the onboard video with no extra video card in the PCIe slot, so a replacement of mobo sounds right. Let us know how this goes.
Score
October 1, 2009 12:33:33 PM

jcinlaca said:
I think you are right about, "you got into the earlier part of Windows to the point where it tries to set the video card to a new mode for use and that attempt fails"

That's why the new card was working (in a very basic mode) until I tried to install the drivers, and they failed to completely install. Could be a 32/64 bit issue with the drivers (I will always go online 1st next time for drivers).

I have tried many times to use the onboard video, but can't get it to work again. At this point, I'm shipping it back to gateway to get back to square 1 with the onboard video working again. Sucks, cuz I just got the computer 5 days ago. I just want to make sure to avoid this next time. I have seen forums of people using this combination (the Gateway SX2800 and the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express) so, I don't think it could be a compatibility issue.

Im using the sapphire 4650 with an sx2800 so yes its not a compatibility issue
Score
October 1, 2009 5:37:16 PM

rgieg said:
Im using the sapphire 4650 with an sx2800 so yes its not a compatibility issue

Can you go through install steps, so I don't get stuck again. The directions say to disable on board video, but Maybe I should allow the computer to do that itself. Did you change a setting in the BIOS or leave video setting to "AUTO"?
Score
October 1, 2009 5:43:18 PM

I didnt disable anything. I downloaded the newest drivers from ati website. Placed the video card into the pcie slot. started the computer with hdmi from the video card to the end of my tv. It recognized right away afterwards i installed the newest drivers and was done.
Score
October 6, 2009 12:56:09 AM

jcinlaca said:
Did you get it working properly?

I have gotten the screen back using the video card /DVI, but I can only get as far as the bios menu or the boot men. It won't boot completely even in safe mode.

Hello, sorry for the delay. I have been away for over a week now. I have not been able to try again, I just came back and I am trying to keep up with the new responses, but I never got it (the new card) to show anything on the screen. I tried contacting Gateway support and after multiple exchanges they said they cannot help me with this and that they recommend that "no changes are made to the original configuration...." They don't even have a manual that is specific to the sx 2800... so no luck there.
Score
October 14, 2009 12:21:14 AM

zvannote said:
I just bought a Gateway SX2800-01 slimline. It has a half-height top slot (PCI-E 16). The power supply is rated for 220W. Questions:

1. Can I safely run an HD 4350?
2. If so, does it need to be a fan model or passive-cooled? (I'm guessing fan because of the cramped airflow.
3. Are there other models that would work? (considering size, power and heat)

Thanks!

I have the sx2800-03 and I bought the ATI HD4350 from NEWEGG. Installation was a breeze and they included the smaller bracket for my slimline Gateway. Ive been doing some Half Life gaming and so far it is as smooth as can be. For only $35 from NEWEGG you just cant beat it. They even shipped it right away.

Score
October 22, 2009 7:24:42 PM

fb1962 said:
Hello, sorry for the delay. I have been away for over a week now. I have not been able to try again, I just came back and I am trying to keep up with the new responses, but I never got it (the new card) to show anything on the screen. I tried contacting Gateway support and after multiple exchanges they said they cannot help me with this and that they recommend that "no changes are made to the original configuration...." They don't even have a manual that is specific to the sx 2800... so no luck there.

I got it working. So, here's the deal. (For the Gateway SX2800 and the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express combination)

Upon installation of the card and the drivers from the cd-rom, the DVI or HDMI conection did not have any output, so I hooked up the donggle for the AVG output. That did produce a image on the screen albeit very low resolution. The device manager didn't even show the device at this point. That at least gave me an image so I could download the v9.9 driver from sapphire. Once the new driver was installed and upon restart the DVI was working and the device manager saw the new card. I changed the screen resolution to 1920 x 1200 for my 24" samsung monitor and all was good.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2009 3:28:24 PM

Wow! Glad you got it working, and thanks for telling us all how. So the problem appears to have been a poor driver that came with the card.

This reminds me that some people have a general practice when installing new hardware. They do NOT allow the automatic installation of the drivers that come with. Instead they force the system to look for the latest driver from the hardware device manufacturer's website and install that as the very FIRST driver installed for it. That guards against jcinlaca's kind of problem, wherein a driver as supplied not only was sub-optimum, it actually prevented any use of the system!
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2009 6:15:32 AM

I'm looking at getting the same set up as jcinlaca, Gateway SX2800 and the SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express combination.

My question is, is it possible to have a dual monitor set up with this combination?

I have one monitor that is hdmi, and one monitor that is VGA.

Thanks!

Score
December 19, 2009 4:21:13 PM

zvannote said:
Thanks for the quick answer! I ordered the fan version. I'm just a little worried about the heat since there's very little space in there.

I'll post my experience here. I'm sure there are others interested since this is a popular model.

Hi

I have a SX2800 too and looking at buying the same card from newegg. Can you please let me know if you were able to fit the card w/o problems.

Thanks
Score
February 13, 2010 8:06:54 PM

HD 4650 512 MB DDR2 on a Gateway SX2802-03 with W7 Pro.

Graphics went from 4.4 to 4.9.
Gaming went from 3.5 to 6.4.

We will see how long the ~200 watt power supply lasts! But so foar so good.

I had to scam a screw from elsewhere to hold the card in place, maybe I lost the ones that came with the card or maybe they didn't come with any that fit. 4650 fan is quiet and unnoticeable. It seems like this card was made for this model PC or vice versa space requiremetns wise.

Initial installation did not work using HDMI. Hitting Del key on start up takes you to the BIOS where you putter around for a bit to modify any promising property settings. I found two possibilities, but one was grayed out until after I installed the card. Also don't forget to transfer HDMI cable to card.

I never ever gave Gateway a serious look but starting back in July 2009 their SX series really hit the nail on the head leaving Dell and HP looking quaint. Too bad Consumer Reports hasn't a clue about the SX model variants in their 2010 Feb issue. Being able to fit this model out with W7 Pro and this graphic cards really coated the cake with top notch icing.
Score
March 2, 2010 3:04:47 PM

Great thread - stumbled across this and was wondering if anyone had any experience with using the sx2800 with an ati 5450.

I'd like a quiet system that can do photoshop/web on 3 screens, I'm under the impression that the 5000 series can drive 3 screens on one card. No gaming. What do you all think? Thanks!

ATI Card

I'm a lil concerned about the 400W requirement... any input?
Thanks folk!
Score
April 3, 2010 4:40:58 PM

I've had the ATI 4350 card in my SX2800-01 for about 4 months, and I think it finally run its course yesterday. I play older games (Republic Commando, Battlefront II) and they would work fine for about an hour before the game started lagging. I guess the graphics card finally had enough. I don't know if it could have been a PSU issue. Has anyone faced similar issues with the 4350? Does the 4650 face overheating issues?
Score
October 8, 2010 5:18:25 AM

I just posted on another thread related to the SX2800-01 PC with a different idea: Using an external power supply - or just parking a larger power supply on the desk outside the chassis and running the power cables into the box.

I'm assuming power cable length will be the biggest issue there (along with desk aesthetics, which I don't care about,) but is there any reason why hooking up an external supply wouldn't work? I'm thinking it would allow for any wattage, therefore limiting my video card choice only to the available chassis space for that. I would even consider leaving the side panel off the chassis to accomodate a card that's otherwise too wide (or tall, depending on how you look at it.)

This is obviously an unorthodox idea - I suppose most rational people would just transplant the whole system to a new box - but is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

Secondly - If I'm using an external power supply and therefore wattage is no object, what's the best video card that would still fit into a Gateway SX2800-01 chassis and function properly?
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
October 8, 2010 9:09:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
Related resources
!