A780GM-A usb

Deanimator

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
My ECS a780GM-A motherboard doesn't seem to be operating in USB 2.0 mode. None of the devices in Win XP (SP3) Device Manager show USB 2.0 and when I plug in a Speed Metal IDE/SATA external drive enclosure, it tells me it's not connected to a USB 2.0 port. I get the same result connected to the front USB ports, the back USB ports and to a powered hub connected to the back USB ports. Sometimes it will work, then just die out with a "delayed write" error.

I can't find a specific USB driver for this board anywhere, nor a generic USB 2.0 driver.

I have a Seagate Free Agent 500gig external USB drive connected to the system which seems to work just fine.

Any suggestions?

Deanimator

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
1. The system has XP SP3.

2. I've already reloaded the chipset drivers, both from downloads and the original CD. Nothing changed. A USB driver is not listed in the motherboard driver installation process.

3. As I said, I can't find a specific USB driver on ECS's website.

Does anybody know what should be listed in Device Manager if everything is installed correctly?

Deanimator

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Problem [apparently] solved.

While talking the problem over with a friend, I decided to replace the [new from the sealed package with the carrier] USB cable. It worked with no "Your drive can be faster" error and it still hasn't lost the connection.

Bad [or USB 1] cable right out of the factory sealed box...