Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading to Core i7 Platform

Last response: in Systems
July 21, 2009 8:32:21 PM

Hello all!

This is my first post at Tom's, and I was hoping to list my prospective build and gather some recommendations about this build.

I'm changing out my MSI P43-Neo-F with E8400 and 4GB kit DDR2 Corsair XMS2 800Mhz RAM. In to the box will go: Core i7 920, MSI X58Pro, and OCZ Platinum 6GB kit DDR3 1600 Mhz. Also, a Coolmax Hyper N520 CPU cooler. I plan to change the OS to Vista Business 64bit(or Ultimate if I feel like spending the cash to upgrade.) until Windows 7 is out.

The other specs are:

Raidmax Tornado ATX Case
Corsair 650HX 650W PSU
Samsung 22x DVD-RW SATA Drive
XFX Radeon HD 4850 1GB GDDR3
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
Maxtor 200GB ATA 133 IDE HDD
Netgear WG311T Wireless LAN adapter PCI card
Vista Business 32bit (I will be running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit once it is available.)

Does anyone have any experience with the MSI x58Pro mobo, or the Cooler?
I'm hoping: 1) The Cooler will fit with ease. 2) I won't have to tinker with voltages/timings to get the RAM running at proper speeds. 3) This new build will smoke my e8400 setup....

I do plan to overclock this system, but not right away as I wish to see the difference in performance vs. my E8400. The system will be for some high-end gaming, less graphically intensive MMO games, Audio recording/editing, Internet use, some productivity tasks, and a very small amount of video encoding.

Anyways, any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

July 21, 2009 9:26:44 PM

Do you have any more budget for a better case? Judging from the reviews that Raidmax looks pretty terrible.

If you could spring for something like this NZXT I'm sure you would have a much more pleasant building experience. You would also be able to fit a larger cooler like the Xigmatek 1283(or it's evil brother the Dark Knight), which would perform much better than the Hyper N520. This would allow for better overclocking and the 120mm fans would be quieter than the 92s on the CM.
July 21, 2009 9:28:05 PM

first thing i realised is that this system will be severely gpu bottlenecked,
x58 pro seems to have some good reviews
hyper n250 looks like itll fit nothing around the cpu looks too high
might wanna concider the wd caviar black, 32m cache, more room to breathe
use win7 rc, dont waste money on vista now

i hope u plan to buy some 4890s to feed that beast, 3 will doo just fine, and if u just plan to buy an interim gcard, y dont u just get a 4670 and wait till u get the xtra paper or hold out for 5890.

he is getting a mid tower, and obviouslu worries that the 120mm sink might be om the big side
but seriouslu the reviews for the case the op chose are less than satisfactory
Related resources
July 21, 2009 9:50:45 PM

I have access to Vista Business 64bit through my College, so I'm not going to have to spend a cent there. As for the case, it looks nice but I have had a few minor issues with it. (Easily scratched, Audio header cable had to be rerouted, and HDD bays are encroached by the front case fan.)

I plan to hand down the MSI P43-Neo-F to my girlfriend for upgrading her PC. However, her case will not support a full ATX board. This means we need another case for her, and a opportunity to hand down the Raidmax Case and look for something better.

The NZXT case looks nice, but I'm not too hot about the panel on the front. I like easy access without having to open a cover on the front of the PC. As for the cooler, it looks a bit tall...but otherwise good. Do you think the Hyper N520 would
be loud at stock speeds?

I plan to stick with the 4850 as I just recently purchased it, sucks that it's gonna bottleneck the system, but 1 GPU is enough for me for now I would say.

The budget for this build is already quite strained, I'd say I could really only pump another $100 into it after all the components I have and others that I plan to buy.
July 21, 2009 10:01:24 PM

I came across this box at Microcenter today, seems to have good reviews from Newegg. Would you consider it a good less costly alternative to the NZXT case posted above?

Xion Solaris

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks like the back case fan should be changed for a larger one, but that is minor at best.

EDIT: I also found this moderately priced case by Cooler Master

Opinions?
July 21, 2009 10:29:41 PM

No I don't think you would call the CM loud.

Glancing through comments on Xion case I would say it's at least a bit better than the Raidmax. Nothing huge though, so if you like the Raidmax better than just go with it.
July 22, 2009 12:31:17 PM

On your Case selection for using it with an X58 mobo, you will need a case with at least 8" in width. That is to be able to fit most Aftermarket CPU HSF Coolers. Check out this case below and also this CPU Cooler.

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel $99.99 Free Shipping

Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler $36.99 Free Shipping

I would also look at these 2 other brands of X58 mobo's. The ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 and the EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR which can be viewed at NewEgg.

If you will not be OC'ing then you could get away with going with either the cases and Intel stock CPU Cooler.

Hope this helped you out some.
July 24, 2009 10:01:46 PM

Thanks to all who replied! The machine is together now and running beautifully!

Also thanks to Yoosty for recommending the Cooler Master Storm Scout, that's one bad mofo of a case! I did stick with the Hyper N520, and its doing good at stock speeds. Soon, I'll be ramping her up some....but thats another thread all together....
!