My WINDOWS folder is now named Windows2 - HELP!

Stephen

Hi

Sometime ago my XP Home crashed on me.
I inserted the Fujitsu Siemens XP Recovery Disc.

I tried to reinstall XP over the current 'WINDOWS' but
the procedure was not as smooth as I expected.

I ended up with 4 versions of Windows.

Windows
Windows0
Windows1
Windows2

When I started to install drivers etc - everything was
being placed in WINDOWS2.

And everything has worked fine since.

I deleted Windows0 and Windows1 without any problems
because I want to stick to Windows2.

BUT when I try to delete the folder 'Windows' i.e. the original
it refuses to shift - there are no messages, it just will not
go into the bin!

My two questions are;

1) Is there a way to delete the original Windows folder?

2) If there is - can I then rename Windows2 back to just
'Windows' without experiencing any problems?

Many thanks in advance - Stephen

--
Outgoing emails automatically scanned by Norton Antivirus.

Stephen, if the Recovery Disk allows you to format the drive then do so.
You don't need four versions of
Windows. If not, go here and get a boot disk www.bootdisk.com
Set the A drive as first boot device
in Bios if you can and use the disk to format. Start over fresh.
"Stephen" <stephen@knight04july.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Sometime ago my XP Home crashed on me.
> I inserted the Fujitsu Siemens XP Recovery Disc.
>
> I tried to reinstall XP over the current 'WINDOWS' but
> the procedure was not as smooth as I expected.
>
> I ended up with 4 versions of Windows.
>
> Windows
> Windows0
> Windows1
> Windows2
>
> When I started to install drivers etc - everything was
> being placed in WINDOWS2.
>
> And everything has worked fine since.
>
> I deleted Windows0 and Windows1 without any problems
> because I want to stick to Windows2.
>
> BUT when I try to delete the folder 'Windows' i.e. the original
> it refuses to shift - there are no messages, it just will not
> go into the bin!
>
> My two questions are;
>
> 1) Is there a way to delete the original Windows folder?
>
> 2) If there is - can I then rename Windows2 back to just
> 'Windows' without experiencing any problems?
>
> Many thanks in advance - Stephen
>

> --
> Outgoing emails automatically scanned by Norton Antivirus.

nine_eleven

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
The same thing happened to me, but I have a 500GB hard-drive, so I just renamed them to keep the Boot program from demanding that I tell it which one I wanted at every power-on.

Have you tried re-naming the original Windows, then removing it? Mine is now called "XWINDOWS", but I haven't tried to remove it.