grimreaper775

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Whats the better choice of the following for a new gaming build out of the following.

Motherboards

Intel P45
Intel P43
Intel G31
Intel x58
AMD 790GX
AMD 790X
AMD 790FX
AMD 780G

Memory

DDR2
DDR3

Case

Mid Tower
Full Tower

CPU

Intel
AMD

Dual-Core
3-Core
Quad Core

Whats your budget and monitor resolution? Motherboard choice depends on a ton of factors, there are only bests for certain price ranges, overall best is the x58 but only because it forces you to use an i7 which is the best processor out there right now but its also significantly more expensive.

jbakerlent

Distinguished

+1 For actually trying to answer this question lol...

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
x58 is superior for more reasons than its processor.

x58 is the only true multi GPU solution. everything else cuts your 2.0x16 pci-e slots, into 2.0x8 pcie slots when you put in more than 1 card.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ not really because that sentence says it is the only chipset which truly supports using multiple GPU's.

but then that's BS because anything with a PCIe 16x can run multiple GPU's.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
ok, my bad. the 790fx can do CF at 16x/16x. not SLI tho.

everything else on that list cuts you down to 8x with mutli gpu solutions.

x58 does sli and CF at 16x/16x. whereas nothing else on that list does.

better guys? =P

"but then that's BS because anything with a PCIe 16x can run multiple GPU's. "
^^ not as well. dont you understand what happens to everything but x58, x48 and 790FX? it turns your 16x into an 8x.

tecmo34

Administrator

As Master Obi-Wan said, it is the truth from a certain point of view... I was looking at multiple GPU's as running either a Nvidia or ATI on the same board. I wasn't looking at it as the MOBO can run more than one GPU.

So... I think we are both correct depending on your view of the statement... :D

I have an AMD board that has an nvidia chipset and the first 2 pcie slots run at 16x while the third one goes down to 8x. I guess you meant that you would benefit more from an X58 motherboard if you consider sli/xfire.....

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

what chipset? o.0

No worries, as I have done the exact same thing... i guess you learn something new everyday.... ;)