Phenom II X3 720 aftermarket cooler

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Hey guys, I've been trying to put some thought into an aftermarket cooler for my Phenom II X3 720 and my AM3 motherboard. Currently it is at ~3.2 GHz at stock voltage and around 25-30° C not under strenuous load. I'd like to spend at or less than $50 USD. I've recently found an old RadioShack gift card and I've decided I might as well get one as I noticed they have computer components now, so that will be the preferred outlet but I don't have to be limited to that seeing as their selection may a bit iffy. I've been trying to read into them on Tom's and other sites but they're all very generalized, so I figured why not ask where I can get some more specialized information. As far as how far I'd like to go, anything reasonable without raising the voltage too much (I'd say 3.6+ GHz looking at reviews) would be fine if that matters in choosing one.

I'm using an Antec 300 case; I was thinking if it's not necessary to spend the entire $50 on a cooler since I'm not trying to do anything to insane, I might be able to spend a remaining amount on taking advantage of the two fan slots in the front of the case that are currently empty. I'll be looking around if I can and I'll update this post if I find any that I'm considering.

You can see my entire component list here; thanks in advance. :D