Power Supply for Radeon HD5870 and i7

Building a Core i7 machine with 4 hard drives and a Radeon HD5870

Will this power supply suffice?

Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ...
4 answers Last reply
More about power supply radeon hd5870
  1. It's overkill!

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended.

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
  2. A good 550 watt PSU will work for a single video card. Unfortunately, there aren't many PSU's smaller than 750 watts with 4 PCI-e power cables.

And, yes. A 1 kw power supply is overkill.
  3. jsc - The Corsair HX650 power supply has four PCI-e 6+2 pin video card connectors and a single large rail rated at 52 amps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012
  4. JohnnyLucky said:
    jsc - The Corsair HX650 power supply has four PCI-e 6+2 pin video card connectors and a single large rail rated at 52 amps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

HX650 was just released recently.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i7 Radeon Components Product