Do all ATX psu's have the exact dimension and type of plugs?

4850guyneedhelp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Sorry again for another post.. but i reallly need an answer.. ive been going nuts over this one problem with my acer m5620..

my case's dimensions are 17cm by 34 cm by 44cm. The PSU takes up the entire width (give or take a little room to the left and right), so im guessing its an ATX psu.

My mobo is an acer G33T-AM, and i was wondering if all ATX psu's have the same dimensions REGARDLESS of WATTAGE??

And also, will the corsair VX550W run the powercolor ati HD4850 1GB with my system, no problems?

SPECS:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
6 gb RAM (disgusting 666mhz)
Seagate 750gb SATA hd
ati radeon hd2400pro 256 mb (trying to switch to the 4850 i now have)
bluray+hdDVD drive

Solution
Not exactly. Height and width comply with international standards as do the location of the holes for the mounting screws. The uniformity makes it easier to design pc cases. It's the depth from front to back that might vary. The higher wattage psu's can have a deeper depth.

Here are some examples of different Corsair power supplies:

VX550 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.5"(L)
TX650 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.9"(L)
TX750 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 6.3"(L)
TX850 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 6.3"(L)

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power...
Not exactly. Height and width comply with international standards as do the location of the holes for the mounting screws. The uniformity makes it easier to design pc cases. It's the depth from front to back that might vary. The higher wattage psu's can have a deeper depth.

Here are some examples of different Corsair power supplies:

VX550 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.5"(L)
TX650 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.9"(L)
TX750 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 6.3"(L)
TX850 Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 6.3"(L)

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

The Corsair VX550 you mentioned is an excellent psu. It can easily power a system with any single video card made and it comes with a 5 year warranty. Here is a link to a technical review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=62

Solution

4850guyneedhelp

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
thanks man!
i need to remeasure my current PSU length, but generally speaking it doesnt seem like i need to worry that much about the length as much as i need to about the height.

and regarding the single or crossfire option, i only plan to use a single 4850 for quite a while... most likely until i decide to build my own PC in the future

will the vx550w have enough/the correct adapters to everything my PC has?