Raid 1 disks reading without controller and advice about NAS brand

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Controller
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 21, 2011 8:49:12 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a medium-small sized NAS to my department of 8 people. Taking into consideration controller failures, i would rather go with raid 1. I am considering a 4 Bay NAS or 5 Bays depending on the models available, and 2 TBytes SATA hard drives, so 4x2TB drives, thus 4 TB of storage in raid 1, my questions (your help) are:

1- within a 4 disk Raid 1 configuration, in case a problem happened, can i remove any disk and put it in a standalone pc or device and get the information without the raid controller (NAS BOX)?
some examples would be: if the raid controller or NAS box failed (which is the main concern about my whole thread)

2 - What brand model you would advise me to get for this kind of setup? fast, silent, reliable are of course what anyone would look in a raid controller in addition to of course the ease of backup operations and management?
the models checkd on amazon are, what do you suggest!!:
a- Synology DiskStation 5-Bay (Diskless) Scalable Network Attached Storage DS1511+
b- Drobo FS 5-bay Gbe Storage Array
c- Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS411+
d- Synology DiskStation Diskless 4-Bay Network Attached Storage DS410
e- NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (4-bay, diskless) Network Attached Storage, latest generation RNDU4000
f- QNAP TS-410 4-Bay Desktop Network Attached Storage
g- D-Link DNS-343 4-Bay Network Attached Storage Enclosure
h- QNAP 4-Bay iSCSI SATA Dual-LAN Network Attached Storage TS-459-PRO+-US

More about : raid disks reading controller advice nas brand

April 21, 2011 6:19:52 PM

goldorak said:
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a medium-small sized NAS to my department of 8 people. Taking into consideration controller failures, i would rather go with raid 1. I am considering a 4 Bay NAS or 5 Bays depending on the models available, and 2 TBytes SATA hard drives, so 4x2TB drives, thus 4 TB of storage in raid 1, my questions (your help) are:

1- within a 4 disk Raid 1 configuration, in case a problem happened, can i remove any disk and put it in a standalone pc or device and get the information without the raid controller (NAS BOX)?
some examples would be: if the raid controller or NAS box failed (which is the main concern about my whole thread)

2 - What brand model you would advise me to get for this kind of setup? fast, silent, reliable are of course what anyone would look in a raid controller in addition to of course the ease of backup operations and management?
the models checkd on amazon are, what do you suggest!!:
a- Synology DiskStation 5-Bay (Diskless) Scalable Network Attached Storage DS1511+
b- Drobo FS 5-bay Gbe Storage Array
c- Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS411+
d- Synology DiskStation Diskless 4-Bay Network Attached Storage DS410
e- NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (4-bay, diskless) Network Attached Storage, latest generation RNDU4000
f- QNAP TS-410 4-Bay Desktop Network Attached Storage
g- D-Link DNS-343 4-Bay Network Attached Storage Enclosure
h- QNAP 4-Bay iSCSI SATA Dual-LAN Network Attached Storage TS-459-PRO+-US

I'm not familiar with all NAS's you have listed, you may want to make double sure there is no proprietary file system on the one you buy. Other than that, yes, you can hook it up to a PC and get the data off. Most will probably use a Linux variant, so you may have to load a small utility to read Linux partitions on a Windows box. I've done this with my DLink DNS-323.
!