Thinking of overclocking, but what?

Hey ive recently been reading up on overclocking and am considering it. But i would like to know if it would be worth overclocking my system and what sort of improvements would i see? (how much faster would the PC be etc). Also what would be best to overclock? I mainly use the PC for gaming and would like to see some improvements in FPS etc..

My system:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Core CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Memory (RAM): 4GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Help would be greatly appreciated!
2 answers Last reply
More about thinking overclocking what
  1. Quote:
    I would suggest overclocking your video card first

Download MSI's Afterburner, start by cranking the fan speed up for better cooling and then raise your core clock (shader) 5mhz at a time until you come to a point where your pc isn't running stable (take your time between each increase)

Once you hit a point of instability, then you downclock it 5mhz from your current overclock and then raise it 2mhz at a time until it becomes unstable again. Do this until you have it down to a specific number.

Even if you only raised it 10mhz from its stock, that 10mhz makes a huge improvement in gaming compared to adding 100mhz to a processor.

Still I think you can oc your processor a good amount and with both at a nice safe overclock your system will be running great.

Hey, thanks for the reply! What should i put my fan speed on?
  2. Also when you say increase the Core Clock (shader) do you mean increase both the core clock and shader clock? (they are currently linked together so when i increase one the other also increases)
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking