Sign in with
Your question

X4 640 Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
August 20, 2011 4:53:46 PM

Hi all

I have just finished my first own build desktop and am thinking about OC'ing but have never attempted it before so would like some advice.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon II X4 640
ASUS M4A78LT-M
6Gb Patriot Signature DDR3-10600
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU

At present the system is running totally stock.

Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

More about : 640 overclocking

August 21, 2011 2:58:26 PM

First you need to be familair with your bios and that you know how to change your bus speeds and multiplier speeds. first I would just step up your bus speeds an increment at a time. and test that for stability. I wouldnt worry about voltages just yet either. anyways I think that particular chip isnt unlocked so you have to concentrate on the bus for overclocking it. if you can step down your ram a bit as well for better stability. then get a stable overclock on your chip first. Then slowly bring your ram back up to the best possible speed. let me know how it goes , and we can disscuss even further
August 21, 2011 3:21:22 PM

Hi thanks for the reply. Have currently got FSB at 255mhz at 15x multiplier with vcore set to auto. Is using around the 1.5v mark. Have been running Prime since 1pm and is still stable as we speak. Am a little worried about CPU temp as it is hovering around the 52 degree mark. MB is around 40 degrees
Related resources
August 21, 2011 3:31:04 PM

Hello , I would try to run Burn in Test since in my opinion it stresses the cpu and ram better , but thats just me , sounds like your temps are a bit high , how is your overall airflow in the case ? your ambient temps are gonna keep things a bit higher , get your airflow in good shape and the overall temp of everything will drop . Is that cooler a single fan config or a push/pull I cant remeber that set up of the top of my head? oh yeah what case is your set-up in btw ?
August 21, 2011 4:16:01 PM

Hi. Off the top of my head I'm sure it's a single fan cooler. The case I'm using is a Thermaltake Element G. Came ready installed with 230mm side fan, 200mm top fan and 200mm front fan. Thinking about it, I may have made a newbie error. CPU cooler is venting towards side fan purely because it was there. I never checked the flow of that fan so I may be venting hot air from the CPU straight onto an inlet fan which is just redistributing it round the case :$
August 22, 2011 9:24:43 PM

Hello , any new developments today ?
August 22, 2011 9:32:58 PM

Stopped Prime at 3pm this afternoon after having it run for approx 27 hours. Had no errors and temps never went above 52 for CPU and 40 for mobo. Not swapped CPU cooler round yet as forgot to get some Thermal Silver earlier. Should I leave the RAM settings on auto as I have not got a clue when it comes to RAM timings etc
August 22, 2011 10:02:48 PM

for now if your just getting to know your way around your cpu yes I would leave the settings to auto , that would be just fine, what program are u using for temp readout? try AIDA64 its a great stability test and information output program as well.
August 22, 2011 10:25:29 PM

Have been using AI suite. Part of the ASUS install disc
September 18, 2011 7:23:46 PM

I have pretty much the same computer specs, I would say mine was like 1 slight upgrade from yours, I am overclocking at the moment, and when ever I go further than 3.4GHz mine crashes? I am just staying at good temperatures so im staying at 3.39GHz to stay on the safe side.

idle: 32c - 33c
Load: 40c - 41c

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 645 @3.1GHz
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev.2
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M
GPU: Asus EAH5670 1GB GDDR5
PSU: CIT 600UB 600w
September 18, 2011 7:26:41 PM

if I was you I would put the overclocking at, overclock profile @ 5%, on mine I could go higher but I could not goto 10% due to crashing so I put mine on manual and put it at 219MHz
September 19, 2011 12:13:58 PM

IN regards to using the AI suite from asua I use it to but it is much better to do your overclocking from the bios and you will get much better results form there. Part of the reason ur not getting such good clock speeds or stability is that u should concentrate on getting an unlocked processor which is a much better over clocker. for example phenom x2 560 that can be unlocked to 4 cores , and is agreat over clocker.
!