Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Here's something that raises a HUGE flag about SSD drives

Last response: in Storage
April 21, 2011 4:18:10 PM

Hey guys,

I'm getting 2 OCZ SSD drives soon and was doing some research on how to use them and care for them so I stumbled upon an article and read this interesting tidbit of info.

"Each sector of a Solid State Drive has a limited number of writes before it cannot be overwritten anymore."

WTF????? I'm no expert but it seems that the industry is making these drives to only last a certain amount of time as opposed to letting them go on and on until they die like any other hard drive. This to me raises some doubts as to wether I'll ever buy one again. Of course I'm speaking out of pure speculation and ignorance since I've never owned one.

So what's the real scoop on this? Are SSD drives really built to just stop working after a certain amount of time?

And let's be clear here. i know that EVERYTHING wears down. Tires, motor oil, capacitors ect... But for the industry to make a product that is programmed to just STOP working after a certain amount of time seems very unethical to me. ESPECIALLY considering the cost.

Here's the article

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/03/should-you-defragment-...

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 21, 2011 4:32:19 PM

this is a well known factor to most considering this tech. basically, it hasn't slowed down sales much at all and is a non-issue unless yuo're running these things in server environments in which case you just move to SLC based drives for greater stamina.

Here's a simple rule to get ballpark estimates of lifespan. Many drives have nand rated at a certain program erase cycle count(PE/c) most of which are currently around 3000PE/c ratings. Take the physical size of the drive(NOT the advertised size) and multiply by the PE/c rating.

So, since a 60GB drive actually contains 64 gigs of nand we use 64 x 3000PE/c to = 192,000 Gigabytes of write capability. That's in a perfect world of course but considering that no one has posted of a drive that's all used up and has turned into a read only drive?.. it's hardly worth worrying about. By the time it becomes an issue the little drive you bought 8 years ago will seem like a little tiny overpriced USB stick for size and speed.

"Buy em'.. use em'.. burn em'"... and move on with life just as you would with any other tech related hardware. Simple as that.
April 21, 2011 4:36:46 PM

Well since I've never owned one or two for that matter I can;t really say yay or nay to the article but, in reading the comments below someone mentioned something about it being 50 years before the drive failed. I guess we'll see lol

Thanks again G
m
l
April 21, 2011 4:36:58 PM

Best answer selected by pabloottawa.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 21, 2011 6:38:57 PM

pabloottawa said:
But for the industry to make a product that is programmed to just STOP working after a certain amount of time seems very unethical to me.
It's not a case of "built-in obsolescence" in the sense that the drives are "programmed" to stop working. It's more like a pen or pencil - the inherent nature of the beast is that you "consume" the product as you use it, and at some point there's nothing left to use.

Believe me, if someone could figure out a way to build non-volatile storage (which retains data when powered off) that was as fast as flash memory but which had no limitation on the number of writes, the industry would be all over it.
m
l
!