How do you replace an integrated graphic card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluelessguy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hi, I need help on how to replace an integrated graphic card with a better and this is my first time doing it so I'm afraid of doing something that might damage the computer since it's a new one :sweat: . If it's possible, a step by step instructions would be really helpful. Basically, I want to know how and what to uninstall first so that i can install a new one. After that, i want to know how to install the other graphic card.

Current graphic card: geforce 7025. One thing that i'm not sure is what kind of graphic cards are compatible with integrated motherboards. I heard that PCI are the ones but i hope someone can verify that for me.

One more thing, any recommendations for graphic cards that are not too cheap ($50 if possible) and can run games decently.

Sorry, I know I'm asking for a lot and I thank those who would take their time to respond to this. :D

Solution
Nope, when you install a pcie or agp graphics card, the mobo uses that over the integrated chip,
some systems have a hybrid system where you can set it up to use both but thats by and large irrelevant
you want to identify your motherboards available sockets, most likely they are pcie
what is your motherboard?
you buy a suitable card for the system
you turn pc off, slot the card into place,using clips if your mobo has them and/or screwing in the backplate to the case
connect any power lines needed by the card, not all cards use extra power lines
turn pc on, boot into windows/ your operating system
install drivers from disk that came with your gfx card
update them to latest version from manufacturers website
thats pretty much as step by...
Integrated graphics are either chips soldered onto the motherboard, or are part of the cpu chip. You can't replace them.
If your motherboard has a pci or pci-s expansion slot, you can get a discrete graphics card and abandon use of the integrated graphics.

But get a good enough discrete card or you may be disappointed. Integrated graphics of newer systems are about the power of a $40-$50 graphics card.
You should budget perhaps $80 or so.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
To summarize, you need to check what kind of slot your computer has, like AGP or PCI-E (Most likely it's PCI-E)

If you put a dedicated video card in your system, the integrated video card will automatically be disabled.

Nope, when you install a pcie or agp graphics card, the mobo uses that over the integrated chip,
some systems have a hybrid system where you can set it up to use both but thats by and large irrelevant
you want to identify your motherboards available sockets, most likely they are pcie
what is your motherboard?
you buy a suitable card for the system
you turn pc off, slot the card into place,using clips if your mobo has them and/or screwing in the backplate to the case
connect any power lines needed by the card, not all cards use extra power lines
turn pc on, boot into windows/ your operating system
install drivers from disk that came with your gfx card
update them to latest version from manufacturers website
thats pretty much as step by step as it gets, you may find something on youtube though for visual guidance if your still worried
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXD98ZPUoo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMpylOUM9k
not really up to date links but they show the gist of it
Moto

Solution

If you have a pci-e X16 slot, then any pci-e based card will fit the slot.

The stronger the card, the stronger your psu must be to run it. What wattage, and, more importantly, what 12v amperage is your psu capable of?
There will be a spec label on the psu to tell you. As a wild guess, a $80 card will need a 400W PSU.

Some high end cards can be over 11" in length. A more normal length will be 8-10". If your case is small that could be a fit issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.