Best Quiet AND Fast 1-1.5TB drive?

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
I am building a HTPC with two drives, one 60gb SSD for boot, then a 1-1.5TB storage drive, but not sure which drive to pick. I need a cool&quiet drive, while I want it to be fast enough for various reasons and I am not sure if a Green drive would do.

It's gonna be my MAIN PC in my apartment, will be placed in my home theatre enclosure, along with HDBox, Bluray, receiver, connected to a 50" Plasma, and will be used to play my iTunes music, Netflix, downloaded videos, Youtube, etc... along with doing audio/video editing duties (transfer from DVD to DivX, transfering CD to FLAC/mp3), and also to play games with (Half Life, Battlefield, etc...).

It's an Athlon X4 3.0GHz system with 4gb of RAM, on Win7 Home Premiun. I'd be using a 60gb SSD for boot drive, and like to get 1-1.5TB drive for storage (afraid of going larger as backup drive is only 1TB).

I also intend to make it my file server, so would be connecting it via Gigabit ethernet to my network, so for instance my laptop can also access files on it, and also to sync my laptop iTunes with the virtual drive so I can sync my iPods on both PC and Laptop.

Typical Use:
- PC is downloading something
- I am also watching a Movie, or Playing music and/or I am using my laptop accessing iTunes library on PC

However, I can see a scenario like this:
- PC converting video from MPEG2-to-MPEG4
- PC is downloading a large MKV file
- PC is playing a video
- Laptop is syncing with PC via network

So, as you can see it's a dual/triple purpose HTPC. While SSD would be perfectly fine for boot drive and making programs run fast, I *think* my storage drive should also be a bit faster than GREEN drives to manage the workload, WHILE being one of the quieter/cooler drives to work in a HTPC environment.

My #1 choice for now is WD Blue... but not sure if there's anything else that would do better. Black is perfect, but I think it'd be too loud, and hot.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

Thanks, I compared F3 and WD Blue performance on storagereview, and while F3 was pretty fast in sequential read/write, it lacked in all other criteria...

I got a smaller 500gb Blue and it's pretty quiet, if 1TB is as quiet, that'd be a good drive... but not sure.